You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting and resizing from AD to AP

OK, I have a master file at 4500 px X 5400 px at 300 dpi in AD (all vector). When I export a png at 300 dpi to 500x500 (I change canvas size and add color background to square the image for this new format) there is a noticeable quality hit. When I used to use PShop I would have HUGE images at 72 dpi (enough to downsize an image at 300 dpi for print purposes) I never lost any image quality due to "apparent increased resolution" when downsizing (an optical property I was told). When I also downsize the png (from the master file size) in AP the image quality also suffers.

I don't want to get into a discussion of pixels, dpi and resampling, I just know I never had any problems in PShop when resizing photos down. I always experienced "apparent increased resolution".

Am I going to have to copy and resize the master file in AD for every new size format I encounter in order to export a sharp png file? Thanks

• Staff

Hi Kanihoncho,

Welcome to the forums :)

What zoom level are you viewing the exported image at? If possible could you provide example screenshots showing the quality loss?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Image 1 is exported at full size from AD and reduced in AP

Image 2 (all vectors) is reduced in AD and exported to png with no AP involved.

Other examples are at https://www.facebook.com/Fly-in-the-Ointment-110710850419232/?modal=admin_todo_tour. I'm not promoting that stuff here but you can view many images. All of those images are 500x500 @ 300dpi and exported at full size from AD and reduced in AP because at 72 dpi the image quality is total crap. FB displays newsfeed images at 500 px wide so I believe they are shown full size. I consider them all to be soft.

test.png