You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PowerPoint compatibility on EMF/WMF

Greetings

I use Affinity Designer to augment the useless tools in PowerPoint. The strange thing is that when I import a EMF or WMF (or SVG) created by Designer, and then un-group (which converts it), the results are very erratic. Some times there's just a blank block and some times one of the parts is still there in a tiny size. I'm wondering if PowerPoint isn't working on an older standard. Is there a way to export older versions of these formats? From Corel Draw I used to just copy, then paste special in PowerPoint which worked fine. From Designer it only wants to paste a bitmap image. If I take an SVG export and use any random converter to WMF it works fine. Some SVG's just crash PowerPoint out right, but that feels more like a bug from their side.

Perhaps we need a switch to export older or "Office compatible" EMF/WMF? I know Microsoft is famous for making up their own versions of formats but it's a real slow down if I have to do online conversion every time I want to pass assets across.

Does any one have a solution or quicker work around for this?

Thanks.

three focus points.emf Untitled.emf

On 2/23/2020 at 7:58 AM, JeffreyK said:

"Office compatible" EMF/WMF? I know Microsoft is famous for making up their own versions of formats

Microsoft invented those particular formats to begin with, so that kind of goes without saying?

On 2/23/2020 at 7:58 AM, JeffreyK said:

Does any one have a solution or quicker work around for this?

What happens if you copy from AD and paste into PP instead of export/import?  I don't know - I don't use PowerPoint if I can at all avoid it - it's just a thought...

Note that PP isn't the only program that has problems with SVG files from the Affinity apps; Cricut Design Space chokes on them too.  Something that seems to work for that is to export from the Affinity apps as a PDF instead, import the PDF into Inkscape, then save the SVG from there.

14 hours ago, fde101 said:

Microsoft invented those particular formats to begin with, so that kind of goes without saying?

Well, ya, but they break their own standards. :)
I would imagine there is more than one version of WMF and EMF the same way there are revisions of the SVG format.

14 hours ago, fde101 said:

What happens if you copy from AD and paste into PP instead of export/import?  I don't know - I don't use PowerPoint if I can at all avoid it - it's just a thought...

Note that PP isn't the only program that has problems with SVG files from the Affinity apps; Cricut Design Space chokes on them too.  Something that seems to work for that is to export from the Affinity apps as a PDF instead, import the PDF into Inkscape, then save the SVG from there.

Copy and paste converts the vectors into a bitmap image. Not great when you want to break it apart to re-colour, add text and animate the parts. Honestly, this would be the most efficient solution if it worked.

As for the Inkscape solution, sure, there are lots of longer ways around but when I'm tasked with rebuilding 10 or 20 slides then it's a pain to have to run around a third party to get it done each slide and worse if I realize I want to revise the design making me do it more than once.

9 minutes ago, JeffreyK said:

I would imagine there is more than one version of WMF and EMF

There definitely are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Metafile

10 minutes ago, JeffreyK said:

Not great

agreed; sorry I somehow missed until now that you did cover that in your original post

11 minutes ago, JeffreyK said:

As for the Inkscape solution

Another option is to simply use Inkscape to do the work until Serif manages to fix their SVG export.  Inkscape uses SVG as its native format and generally seems to get it right.