You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I really like the features of AF Photo where it can build vectors within the same document. But...

I'm trying to move from Photoshop and now find that there is a significant issue with image quality when you try to downsize an image.

Shooting product and converting to final images sizes for websites is essential in my business. I need full size images for print and downsized image for websites. Take a look at the attached image. Upper right corner is working from the full size and exporting to jog @80% and resizing to the intended 1200 px wide. Terrible results.
An improvement is to duplicate the parent document and resize prior to export. That is the example in the upper left corner. Still not very good and shows an overall issue with downsizing images. I've tried all the different options and see little if any difference.

Conversely, look at the image in the lower left. THAT is how it should work (Photoshop Export As, resizing on the fly).

Is this a known issue that we may see improvement on in the future?

review.png

I don't know if it's relevant but they're not the same image. In the Photoshop version the grey catches are retracted. In the Affinity Photo versions they're extended. You might care to upload your original images to see if anyone can help.

Cheers

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

16 hours ago, h_d said:

I don't know if it's relevant but they're not the same image. In the Photoshop version the grey catches are retracted. In the Affinity Photo versions they're extended. You might care to upload your original images to see if anyone can help.

Cheers

H

Yes, you are correct but it's the same case for all. I have multiple images which show the 3 adjustment blocks all in one file then downsize and animate the results.

I can assure you the problem is not related to which image but rather the lack of how an image is downsized and loss of quality that results.

I've attached a new sample for clarity and to remove any concerns.

sample.png

Edited by Burndog
Added new image

• Staff

Hi Burndog :)

I'd like to look into this further, and it would be useful to have a copy of your original image/Affinity document so I can use this for my testing. Could you please upload these to the following link for me, then let me know when this has been completed?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/adVYqrfWzakbtMkWZS2P

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

then let me know when this has been completed?

Files uploaded as well as a new set with single layer version and both exported and downsized images includes. Downsize to 1200px at 85% jpg from both Affinity Photo and Photoshop 2020

• Staff

Many thanks for your documents provided - I can certainly see there is a difference in the sharpness of the exported images from both apps, I've done some testing with resizing the document before export, or at export in both apps, and exporting at 100% quality rather than 80%.

It appears from this testing that it's the latter setting which most heavily affected the exported image, the below screenshot shows the full size documents exported from each app, setting a 1200px width in the export dialog and exporting to 100% quality - both images produced using this method look extremely similar, with AP being arguably sharper (Left PS, Right AP)

2502screenshot.jpg

However as soon as the 80% quality value is introduced, PS does appear to retain a sharper export, so I'll log this with our developers for further investigation and to help us improve our exporter in the future :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

However as soon as the 80% quality value is introduced, PS does appear to retain a sharper export, so I'll log this with our developers for further investigation and to help us improve our exporter in the future :)

FWIW, as explained here, the JPEG "Quality" slider in PS progresses in 13 distinct steps, so for example the 80% setting is the same as the 84% one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Thanks for the info R C-R :D

Please note -

Many thanks!