You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch Macro Max Length DPI

Sorry for the strangely worded Post Title that appears more as a search term than a topic. I hope to find a solution to my recurring simple task that has become quite difficult even after reading John Rostron's posts about resizing images. Here is the task:

• Starting with a folder of 240 DPI images (some landscape and some portrait), I need to resize all of them to 2000px on the longest side and 72 DPI.

When I perform the task manually on a single image, it works fine. When I run it through a batch job using a macro to perform the same task, a task I successfully worked through manually to record said macro, all portrait images are stretched to landscape.

In a pinch, I had to use Photoshop to do this job recently. However, after talking my team into switching to Affinity to move away from CC, that option will go away at the end of the month. Please help. I don't want to do these by hand when I *know* there has to be an answer.

---@ELBeavers

Have you tried your message manually on a single image to make sure it works, @ELBeavers?

If you're not using the Filters > Distort > Equations approach it probably won't work, because other approaches remember the actual size, and can cause problems.

If you are using that approach, you may be hit by another issue, where macros recorded in 1.7 and 1.8 can't change the DPI without resampling and resizing the image. That would Tom into the other problem of macros remembering the actual size, and distorting images that have a different orientation.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@ELBeavers Mac or PC? There's no easy way to automate this in Photo because we can't use conditionals to distinguish between landscape and portrait. I can think of options in macOS.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Would separating the images into two separate folders first, one for Landscape and one for Portrait be a viable option before starting the batch conversions?
And then batch convert the contents of the two folders separately in AP.

Outside of AP,  XnConvert (it's free!), can handle mixed image orientations, where you can specify longest side or shortest side and set dpi.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

I just tried running a batch job on a set of images and just applying two macros:

Change DPI to 300 from @Carl123, and

Resize to 1000 max length from myself.

This successfully applied both macros to a set of five jpg and five aphoto images.

I understand that Carl's macro was just a matter of using Document  > Resize to reset the dpi without resampling or modifying any other dimension, so you could easily write one to change to 72 dpi.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I understand that Carl's macro was just a matter of using Document  > Resize to reset the dpi without resampling or modifying any other dimension, so you could easily write one to change to 72 dpi.

One could, but there seems to be a bug in 1.7 (and I think 1.8) that doesn't allow that macro to be properly recorded, as the macro will always resample (and thus resize). Carl's macro was created using 1.6.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

44 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Carl's macro was created using 1.6.

I think I still have a working copy of 1.6. I will try to re-create this macro for 72 dpi.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

One could, but there seems to be a bug in 1.7 (and I think 1.8) that doesn't allow that macro to be properly recorded, as the macro will always resample (and thus resize). Carl's macro was created using 1.6.

That bug still exists in the just released Mac 1.8.0.168 - GM Seed beta. ☹️

Anybody know if this has ever been reported as a 1.7 bug?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

That bug still exists in the just released Mac 1.8.0.168 - GM Seed beta. ☹️

Anybody know if this has ever been reported as a 1.7 bug?

Yes.

-- Walt
PC:

17 hours ago, h_d said:

@ELBeavers Mac or PC? There's no easy way to automate this in Photo because we can't use conditionals to distinguish between landscape and portrait. I can think of options in macOS.

It's 2018 MacBook Pro. Here is my OS information:

ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion:    10.15.3
BuildVersion:    19D76

---@ELBeavers

Well it's not an Affinity solution @ELBeavers, but I can offer you an Automator application that will quickly batch resize image files to 2000px on the longest dimension, keeping the other dimension in proportion, and setting the resolution to 72dpi. dm me if you're interested.

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

On 2/23/2020 at 1:49 PM, h_d said:

Well it's not an Affinity solution @ELBeavers, but I can offer you an Automator application that will quickly batch resize image files to 2000px on the longest dimension, keeping the other dimension in proportion, and setting the resolution to 72dpi. dm me if you're interested.

Cheers,

H

Thanks for the offer. I already have an Automator service attached to a folder action for easy drag and drop. My goal is to eliminate that step in a single batch job with Affinity Photo.

---@ELBeavers

On 2/23/2020 at 12:28 PM, John Rostron said:

I think I still have a working copy of 1.6. I will try to re-create this macro for 72 dpi.

John

I have produced a set of macros to change dpi without changing the pixel dimension here.

John