You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't delete layers with delete or backspace keys

Not sure what's going on....my Affinity Photo experience is slowly going down hill.

I had been running this on a MBP, late 2011 model.

I have a Mac Pro and should be MORE than enough power for AP.

But for some reason I cannot do simple things, like hit the delete button or the backspace button and delete a selected later.

The backspace button appears to invert it?

I looked in preferences and the backspace button was indicated as the one for this action. I tried changing it to the delete button, and it just blanks out the choice.

I'm using the same keyboard I had connected to my MBP and it worked just find there, but that wasn't Catalina. Is the OS X version the problem?

Also the other day I was clone stamping an image, and I was dumbfounded to see I had pauses with spinning circles indicating the machine was busy processing?!!?

ugh..frustrating. I don't want to rent my software from adobe, but so far, my AP and new Mac aren't giving me a good experience, this and my other recent post about the HSL selectors mysteriously disappearing on me, etc.

Thoughts?

Is there a good primer on cleaning up, setting up preferences for your workspace or "stage" as I believe it is called with AP? I can't seem to figure how to drag and drop things to be how I want them.

Thank you in advance,

C

Factory Reset? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Hi cayenne :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Firstly could you please open Affinity Photo>Preferences>Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Secondly, please right-click on a layer, next to the Delete option in this menu you should see an icon for the shortcut key set to delete - which key is shown here please?

Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 08.34.57.png

On 2/22/2020 at 7:49 PM, cayenne said:

Is there a good primer on cleaning up, setting up preferences for your workspace or "stage" as I believe it is called with AP? I can't seem to figure how to drag and drop things to be how I want them.

If you're looking to change the appearance of your Workspace then View>Customise Toolbar will allow you to change your top toolbar, and View>Customise Tools allows you to change which tools appear in the left hand toolbar. Through View>Studio>... you can choose which Studios are and aren't active, then click and drag to arrange these in your workspace.

Unfortunately there's no way to 'save' a custom workspace currently, although we do hope to add this feature in the future.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

On 2/22/2020 at 7:49 PM, cayenne said:

Is the OS X version the problem?

Probably not - I've had the same problem under Win 10.  I can't say all the details are the same, but I've often had the problem that keyboard delete keys don't delete a selected layer.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

2 hours ago, IanSG said:

Probably not - I've had the same problem under Win 10.  I can't say all the details are the same, but I've often had the problem that keyboard delete keys don't delete a selected layer.

FWIW, I have sometimes had the same problem with the Delete key not working in (I think) as far back as macOS Sierra, & in the current Mac versions of all 3 Affinity apps. It usually works but when it does not I have yet to figure out what triggers that.

The right-click method always works for me. Oddly, so does using the forward delete key on my wired Apple Extended Keyboard (the one in the group with Home, End, Page Up, & Page Down keys).

The shortcut, both in Keyboard shortcut preferences & when I right-click in the Layers panel, shows the symbol for the normal Delete key, so that has nothing to do with it, AFAIK.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, IanSG said:

Probably not - I've had the same problem under Win 10.

I should have added that the problem goes back to the first Windows release of AP, running under Win 7 - I started by assuming that being unable to use the delete keys was a feature.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

10 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi cayenne :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Firstly could you please open Affinity Photo>Preferences>Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Secondly, please right-click on a layer, next to the Delete option in this menu you should see an icon for the shortcut key set to delete - which key is shown here please?

Screenshot 2020-02-24 at 08.34.57.png

If you're looking to change the appearance of your Workspace then View>Customise Toolbar will allow you to change your top toolbar, and View>Customise Tools allows you to change which tools appear in the left hand toolbar. Through View>Studio>... you can choose which Studios are and aren't active, then click and drag to arrange these in your workspace.

Unfortunately there's no way to 'save' a custom workspace currently, although we do hope to add this feature in the future.

I've attached a screen shot of my preferences.

Oddly, enough, I've let this go for a few days. I think I have opened and closed AP a couple times.....for some reason, the delete key is working again....

Strangely the Preferences for keyboard shortcuts...shows the symbol for the backspace key.  When I try to "change" it to my keyboard Delete key...it blanks it out.

However, now, as I mentioned, somehow...the Delete key is working again as it was before, for no good explainable reason.

I'll update this thread as I find out more...

cayenneI

Screen Shot 2020-02-24 at 1.05.03 PM.png

• Staff

Thanks for the information cayenne - I'm glad to hear this issue seems to no longer be present, but please do keep us updated.

14 hours ago, cayenne said:

Strangely the Preferences for keyboard shortcuts...shows the symbol for the backspace key.  When I try to "change" it to my keyboard Delete key...it blanks it out.

I've attached a quick screen recording below showing the process of removing and re-adding the shortcut - is this behaviour not the same for you?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)