You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to select and delete parts of a document?

I guess there's an obvious answer to this, but I'm used to Serif PagePlus' Edit Story-mode for such things.

How do I easily select parts of the text, for example chapter 3-9 out of 12 chapters to delete it?

(I tried placing the cursor at the start of the text and then moving to a later page to shift-click at some point there, but this doesn't work.)

24 minutes ago, adreamer said:

How do I easily select parts of the text, for example chapter 3-9 out of 12 chapters to delete it?

(I tried placing the cursor at the start of the text and then moving to a later page to shift-click at some point there, but this doesn't work.)

You should be able to place the cursor at the start of the text to be deleted, then hold Shift and the down arrow button. That will scroll downward through the text, moving from page to page as needed. Release the down arrow key when you reach the end, make any necessary adjustments to make sure you have the exact end selected, and press Delete.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

I'm not sure there's anything better. Though, of course, you can stop whenever you want, hit delete, then resume, repeating until you get to the desired stopping point.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Here's another approach that is simpler.

1. Pick some unique character string that does not appear in the document. I'll use %@% for this.
  2. Insert the string at the point you want to start deleting.
  3. Insert it again at the point you want to stop deleting.
  4. Use the menu item Text > Find (or open the Find and Replace studio panel).
  5. Click the cog for the Find part of the panel and make sure that Regular Expression is selected. If in the beta, you may need to also select the Regular Expression Option "Dot matches paragraph break".
  6. As a Find expression, use the following, substituting your unique character string, with no spaces:
    %@%.*%@%
  7. Leave the Replace expression empty.
  8. Click Find. Then Replace All.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

Affinity Publisher has no concept of 'chapters'. The nearest concept is Sections, which can be accessed from the Section Manager in the Pages panel.

I'll stick my neck out here and say that if I were creating a full-sized book, I would break up the text into chapter-sized chunks in my writing program (word processor, Scrivener, whatever),before importing them separately into Publisher, possibly matching the chapters to the sections.

That would give me chapter breaks based on page numbers, and if for any reason I wanted to delete a chapter of more from the Publisher document, I could select and delete the relevant pages en bloc from the Pages panel.

The thought of managing a full-sized book as one continuous text flow gives me the absolute whim-whams.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

11 hours ago, adreamer said:

I don't understand... If your text is simply linked text frames then it should (and does for me) work as above

What am I missing here?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

I don't understand... If your text is simply linked text frames then it should (and does for me) work as above

What am I missing here?

I tried with a smaller text now, and you're absolutely correct.

I can only speculate that the (very) long text I tested with earlier made APu so sluggish, it appeared not to work.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, h_d said:

Affinity Publisher has no concept of 'chapters'. The nearest concept is Sections, which can be accessed from the Section Manager in the Pages panel.

I'll stick my neck out here and say that if I were creating a full-sized book, I would break up the text into chapter-sized chunks in my writing program (word processor, Scrivener, whatever),before importing them separately into Publisher, possibly matching the chapters to the sections.

That would give me chapter breaks based on page numbers, and if for any reason I wanted to delete a chapter of more from the Publisher document, I could select and delete the relevant pages en bloc from the Pages panel.

The thought of managing a full-sized book as one continuous text flow gives me the absolute whim-whams.

I've only used Sections to separate front / back matter from the main text, so far.

I shall have to look into other uses for that functionality.