You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Slow Saves

I'm creating a 50-page book in Affinity Publisher. Whenever I save, it takes about 5-7 seconds for the progress bar to appear. This becomes very annoying over time. A popup with a Saving screen appears and the operation cannot continue until the saving process is finished. 

Is the time taken for saving normal? Wouldn't it be better if you performed a background process for this saving? 

Affinity Publisher 1.7.3
Mac Pro 2013, 6-core Xeon, 64GB Ram
10.15.3 Catalina

002.png

001.png

• Staff

Hi coral :)

Under the File menu, do you have Save History with Document ticked? If so, this can increase save times for documents and you can disable this should you not require the feature.

Secondly, if you use File>Save As to save the file as a new document, does this save action complete quicker for you?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

5 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi coral :)

Under the File menu, do you have Save History with Document ticked? If so, this can increase save times for documents and you can disable this should you not require the feature.

Secondly, if you use File>Save As to save the file as a new document, does this save action complete quicker for you?

Hi Dan C :)
Save History With Document option is not ticked. I tried with File> Save As, but nothing changed. 
Looks like:

• Staff

Thanks for your screen recording - I can see the Save dialog appears instantly when using File>Save, then around 4 seconds later the progress bar begins to move, 2-3 seconds later the save operation is complete.

This is to be expected when saving your document, as Affinity has to collate the file and if over 33% of the document has been changed the has to be 'Streamlined' which takes slightly longer than a usual save operation, as explained in the following post -

What location are you saving to on your Mac please? (ie Locally, or to a Cloud storage?)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

14 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for your screen recording - I can see the Save dialog appears instantly when using File>Save, then around 4 seconds later the progress bar begins to move, 2-3 seconds later the save operation is complete.

This is to be expected when saving your document, as Affinity has to collate the file and if over 33% of the document has been changed the has to be 'Streamlined' which takes slightly longer than a usual save operation, as explained in the following post -

What location are you saving to on your Mac please? (ie Locally, or to a Cloud storage?)

Thanks for your reply. I add new pages and add articles for the book I prepared. I save the project with command + s every 2-3 minutes. The time has come so long. I keep the project on an external disk (Samsung T5 SSD 512 GB).

• Staff

Thanks for that information, when saving to an external drive you will be 'bottlenecked' by the slower speed of the drives connection to your computer. Unfortunately there's not much Affinity can do to improve these save times when saving externally, as there is an additional 'step' in the saving progress which causes the slight delay you're seeing.

If you can, saving to internal memory will likely be quicker and slightly more stable.

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 2/25/2020 at 10:40 AM, Dan C said:

Thanks for that information, when saving to an external drive you will be 'bottlenecked' by the slower speed of the drives connection to your computer. Unfortunately there's not much Affinity can do to improve these save times when saving externally, as there is an additional 'step' in the saving progress which causes the slight delay you're seeing.

If you can, saving to internal memory will likely be quicker and slightly more stable.

Thanks for your help. I copied the project file to the system disk. But nothing changed about speed. For example, I add only 1 character to the text on a page and save it with command + s. Processing time is too long. Can you have any other advice?

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3,5 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
2 x AMD FirePro D500 3 GB
256 GB PCIe SSD

How big is your document (file size on disk)?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I've tried doing "Save as..." on a few Publisher files around the 50-60MB range and the time taken varies from instant to about 15 seconds

So it seems that the time to save may be linked to the actual design/contents/layer-structure/adjustments used/ etc of the document rather than just the final file size.

Do you want to upload your document to the forum?

If you can others may be able to see how long it takes (to save it) for them and what in the document may be contributing the most to the time it takes to save it.

If you cant upload it you may want to strip it down bit by bit to determine the above for yourself (Doing a File > Save as... each time) 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.