Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm using the current Designer beta (1.8.0.5). I have been encouraged  by the new beta and much appreciate the much  improved add and divide geometry tools.  It's worked well with some tests I've run. I decided to test it out with a project I'm doing and ran into a few issues. 

I traced my sketch using the brush tool using the standard vector brush (100% vector) with the controller set to pressure and the stabilizer on. I then selected it all and expanded it - no problems there! I again selected it all and hit the "add" geometry option and the entire design disappeared. It actually made a new layer called "curve" above my artboard with nothing in it. I went back a step and tried doing the design in smaller chunks... it worked fine in some areas and not in others. 

When I have done designs like this in Illustrator, I've usually filled in sections with the blob tool or done a live paint fill. With Affinity not having those options, I fill in with strokes - potentially creating more work for the program to process. 

It's possible I did something wrong in my process. I know I used the same brush settings for the entire piece when I created it, so everything should have the same properties. I did increase and decrease the brush size at times. 

i included a video of the problem as well as the file with two layers - the unedited initial strokes and the other layer after I had expanded it in the video and attempted to add together sections

Thanks for any assistance!


 

Add issue.afdesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Boldlinedesign,
Three objects from the expanded and added layer are problematic (have stray points). I've created a new layer with duplicates of them to help you locate them in your original layer below and changed their colour to green. Go to that layer (problematic objects) and check the red nodes i marked with a red circle  - delete these nodes in the corresponding objects on your original layer - expanded and added -  (one of the objects - the one in the middle - has one of these nodes overlapping another in the same place (delete just the first, no need to delete the second). Don't move them or the app will freeze and eventually crash - just select them and delete. You can then add the three objects along with all the rest. I'm adding this file to an existing report/log about this issue (stray points) for testing against new code revisions. Thanks for reporting it.

problematic_objects.afdesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miguel and Boldlinedesign - I also noticed those objects acting strangely... :/ They obviously appear to be the result of an expand stroke so I'll look into why this is happening (and also make the code handle these objects better anyway!)

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @MEB for taking the time to do that. Do stray points appear because of something I did when I created it, or when I expanded?- or is it unavoidable and needs to be fixed in the code? Is there something you recommend I do in the meantime? 
I know MattP mentioned "They obviously appear to be the result of an expand stroke" - so I assume they are a code issue at this point. 
Thank you as well @MattP, for taking a look and looking into improving the code. 
Glad my post can help in some way - I love Affinity and I want it to succeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Boldlinedesign,
No, you have no control over the stray points. They are the result of certain operations (usually expand stroke or boolean operations but may also appear when you import/paste paths from other programs that generated them initially) and other than locate and delete them, there's no other way around it currently. Illustrator does have a command specifically to remove/clean them from documents but Affinity doesn't have one. Hopefully Matt will be able to solve this through code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I should be able to remove them reasonably trivially, but I just want to understand what's causing them in the first place... I think the 1.8.0 version may go with these stray points still being an issue, but I expect I can fix them fairly quickly for a 1.8.1 very soon afterwards... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MattP said:

Incidentally... I do think I might've just fixed this problem... testing it out at the moment :)

Hi Matt, possibly not the same issue but maybe connected. There is a problem when using Subtract or Intersect with text in compounds, it is not with all fonts but it is with quite a few. Particularly with A L & M. The attached shows the issue with Arial font. I just thought I would mention it while you are testing it 😀

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 08.58.42.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.