You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing PDF into Designer/Publisher

Affinity Publisher/Designer not able to correctly import PDF file with embedded fonts.
Same file is correctly imported in Preview and Adobe Acrobat Pro (& Reader).
Arial Narrow was font embedded in particular PDF file but again Affinity is not reading file correctly despite having same font available on my computer (MAC OS).

Please check attachment for your reference.

FE91E5D9-B8CA-4FDC-8D21-E514705E64E0.png

CADB4CAE-FCD2-431F-969E-97D21959D0F4.png

D61102D5-6CF7-484C-9C1D-0EA712CEEAEA.png

I posted this on another thread for creating a new version of the PDF with the fonts saved as curves - I found this in another Affinity Forum so just passing thsi on as a possible fix.
It's worked every time I've used it.
First install GhostScript - current version 9.50. I made sure the Windows PATH was updated to include the install folder.

Open the Windows command line and move to the correct folder where the PDF file is.
Then use the following command to create a new version of the PDF:

gswin64c -dNoOutputFonts -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o "output.pdf" "input.pdf"

2 hours ago, Bakica320 said:

Trichens, thanks for suggestions but I am afraid that I can’t do it as I use MAC OS and you posted suggestions for workaround in Windows.

In case you want to go that route, Ghostscript is installable and works on Mac, too. You can probably find instructions somewhere in these Serif forums, or elsewhere via Google.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Bakica320 said:

PDF file has been created by CrewLounge PILOTLOG software in MAC OS.

The application did not embed Arial Narrow when it created that PDF. Acrobat Reader shows this font information for your file:

image.png.b1a87f435eaf7333497606c10de78255.png

If it had used Arial Narrow, then since you have that font installed Affinity would have used it (via your installed copy). But you're right, the Affinity applications do not use embedded fonts, except in some very limited ways.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1