You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW files are dark

Froggy Fred

New to forum, hope I'm using it correctly.

Using affinity photo ver 1.7.3  on MAC Catalina 10.15.3

RAW files are from Olympus EM1 Mk2 (on your list of accepted RAW images)

RAW files are dark and low contrast. adjusting contrast say 10 percent covers the image in blue & yellow.

There seems to be no way to make these images look bright and sharp as the jpg images are.

Adobe bridge displays them OK as does the MAC Preview.

On a windows 10 machine with Affinity photo 1.7.3.481 the RAW files are displayed perfectly and look almost identical to the JPGs

Is there a setting I have missed?  Is there a way to reset Affinity Photo back to factory defaults,  will this cure it?

Raw file attached

FCS06729.ORF

Hi Chris, thanks for putting me in the right direction

I had previously gone thru the Affinity tutorial on "HDR From One Exposure" where RAW output was changed to 32 bit and the Tone Curve was set to Take no action.

Being new to this I had not changed settings back after playing with it.

After experimenting I found the 16 or 32 bit did not change things but Apply Tone Curve was the culprit and without it the images became darker and lower in contrast.

Switching to Apple(core image RAW) also made the image brighter. (a minute fraction brighter than the jpg)

With very slight tweaks of the RAW sliders the image can become the just the same as the jpg.

Thanks again for your help