You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Settings Not Saved With Document - Publisher

Whenever a document is opened in Affinity Publisher it is a blank slate rather than the state of the interface when it was last saved. For example, I'm working on a large document, the TOC is key to organizing the content. Each time the program crashes, which is constant, or saved, which I do often, upon returning to work I notice that the TOC panel is gone, the styles do not work so they must be opened individually and the box checked to apply style to selection and a dozen other preferences that I have carefully curated to speed my workflow.

It might not sound like a big deal, but it is making it near impossible to work. I've not found anything in the forums or tutorials nor the preferences panels that would help. 

The status of the studio panels is not a document-related configuration (at present), but if you set the panels as you like them and close Publisher they should be saved, and should come back when you next start Publisher.

The Text Styles should all work, though, so I'm not sure quite what you're referring to there. Can you clarify that? I would expect that any settings in, for example, the TOC panel should be saved in the auto-recovery file, which Publisher should offer to open for you, either when you next open Publisher (if the file was never saved) or when you next open that file (if it was previously saved). Some people seem to have better luck with that auto-recovery feature than others, however.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, MauricioC said:

I notice that the TOC panel is gone,

That is by design, place your text cursor somewhere in the ToC or select the frame it is in and the ToC Styles will appear.

I have no difficulty in applying styles and having them stay.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Walt, exactly, they should, but they don't, so each time I open a document I'm resetting my workspace.

I think the program itself is suffering some memory issues, it is often asking me to relink things, which does not work as expected, I click on the resource so it's highlighted, click the find button, nothing. I have to choose "replace". When scrolling through the document, it gets startled and shuts down. 

Old Bruce, are you saying that forgetting how someone sets up their workspace is forgotten by design? Poor design if that is the case. 

Styles- I highlight text or a text box, either way result is the same, the style is not applied when I click or double click in the styles panel. What is the point of the style panel if I can't apply the style with a click? I have to go up to the dropdown menu, or customize the style each time, as stated, I have to open the style and manually select "apply this style to the selection".

I am running a brand new Cyberpower PC GMA4200BST with Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GH and Radeon RX 580 8GB with Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 32GB RAM 3200Mhz so more than enough power for desktop publishing.

1 hour ago, MauricioC said:

so each time I open a document I'm resetting my workspace.

The studio positions, etc. are remembered upon successful shutdown of Publisher. They are an application property, not a document property. If you are experiencing frequent crashes, make sure you setup your studio as you want it, and close Publisher. Then restart Publisher, and the studio positions should be as you left them.

1 hour ago, MauricioC said:

Styles- I highlight text or a text box, either way result is the same, the style is not applied when I click or double click in the styles panel. What is the point of the style panel if I can't apply the style with a click? I have to go up to the dropdown menu, or customize the style each time, as stated, I have to open the style and manually select "apply this style to the selection".

Text Styles would not apply if you simply select the text box. You need to select the text itself. But once you've done that, then either using the paragraph or character style pulldown in the Context Toolbar, or single (not double) clicking on the text style name in the Text Styles panel should apply it (and does, for me). Double-clicking on the text style name in the Text Styles panel would apply the text style and open the Text Style Editing dialog, which is probably not what you'd want to do, usually.

Edit: And, I forgot one aspect: If you're using a Paragraph Text Style, then simply having the text cursor within a paragraph will let you apply the text style via the pulldown or single clicking in the Text Styles panel. You would only need to select the text if you want to apply a Character Text Style.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, MauricioC said:

Old Bruce, are you saying that forgetting how someone sets up their workspace is forgotten by design? Poor design if that is the case. 

My poor wording. The ToC Styles are not available/viewable unless one is working in the ToC text. I am guessing this choice was made to reduce the number of styles presented in the Panel. I am of two minds about this, (my like/dislike of this feature varies according to air pressure and relative humidity).

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

(my like/dislike of this feature varies according to air pressure and relative humidity).

I prefer this feature...In a complex TOC you can end up with quite a few styles, if they were in the main document style panel it would drive me mad trying to search through them all. I like that you can base TOC styles on the main styles but keep them out of the way where they are not needed. 😀

Thanks for your replies. After a few days of using Publisher, it suddenly started to remember the docs and panels, etc when I open a document. 

However, the most recent release, when I customize a style, say I either create a new style or modify "body" to use a font, Komika, Arial, doesn't matter. I want all the body text to be 9 point, so I modify that. I close the style, nothing has happened to the text block that I had selected when I made the modifications to the style. OK. So I still have the text box active and click on text style "body" presto... nothing happens. The text is not modified. I double click and the Edit Text Styles dialog comes up, the box "apply to style" is not checked, although it was (forgot to mention in the last step) so I will check it and this time, it works. So I move to the next box, activate it, click on body, nothing happens, double click, dialog box, click the checkbox, it works. I have to do this for over 100 pages. 

The entire reason for a "style" is to be able to apply it quickly. In every other program, it's a one click operation. Bruce, Murfee, Walt you can't possibly think this is normal or desirable or am I missing something?

7 hours ago, MauricioC said:

The entire reason for a "style" is to be able to apply it quickly.

This works as expected for me on a Mac. If I create a new document and need to make changes that will affect all styles such as changing the font family, I make the change in the style called "Base". "Body" text is based on Base so it will automatically update all text that has the Body style applied. Some of the built in styles are based on Body, if this has been altered via the base style then they will also update.

I can manually select a different font & size in the body style which will automatically update styles based on Body

Could you upload a sample file where your styles are not updating as expected?

I appreciate is your suggestions, (and no, I cannot upload the unpublished copyright protected work.) It is not a file issue, it's the same for all documents which I'm currently developing.

What I've done to workaround the issue is to modify Base and add a hotkey shortcut to it. Luckily I only have that one style that needs the shortcut or else I'd need a crib sheet to keep track of all the styles and shortcuts. Thanks for the tip, but this is not a solution, just a workaround in case any developers are listening.

I place my text cursor in the text then click on the style I wish to apply to that paragraph.

Frequently I will place text and select all of the text and apply one style to the whole text flow, then using find and replace I alter the various headings to the different heading style.