You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher PDF import with changing fonts?

I need to import PDFs into Publisher that contains fonts that I don't have installed or a license too. How can I avoid Publisher substituting the fonts? Right now I have to open the PDFs and .ai files in Preview on Mac and export them from there as JPEG or PNG. I can't understand why Publisher or Photo can't deal with this.

33 minutes ago, csj said:

I need to import PDFs into Publisher that contains fonts that I don't have installed or a license too. How can I avoid Publisher substituting the fonts? Right now I have to open the PDFs and .ai files in Preview on Mac and export them from there as JPEG or PNG. ...

There are applications, such as InkScape, that can convert the type to curves. But, I do believe I've read on the forum that Preview can also convert type to curves via EPS export. Could be mis-remembering...I use Windows.

33 minutes ago, csj said:

... I can't understand why Publisher or Photo can't deal with this.

Because Serif haven't added the requisite feature yet? Sorry. Being able to what you want is on the list of one day/someday, to-do list Serif has.

Yeah, I just find this highly problematic because a PDF really is just a portable document. That you send and receive and expect it not to change. And it is really amazing that Affinity does have the ability to import and modify and work from a PDF. But the “default” behaviour should be preserved. Image if your browser changed all the fonts in a PDF when opening it.

I found a post somewhere in one of the Affinity forums that described using GhostScript to change the fonts in the PDF file to curves.
It's worked every time I've used it.
First install GhostScript - current version 9.50. I made sure the Windows PATH was updated to include the install folder.

Open the Windows command line and move to the correct folder where the PDF file is.
Then use the following command to create a new version of the PDF:

gswin64c -dNoOutputFonts -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o "output.pdf" "input.pdf"

Another way of converting fonts to curves is to use the Microsoft print driver to create a pdf.

It has been pointed out elsewhere that you need to check the output does match the original when using these applications. I have found that some elements go missing or are not right after conversion.

It is for this reason, I invariably convert to a PNG when I am sent a pdf with embedded fonts I don’t have.

There is a useful post on this topic here 

http://latex-my.blogspot.com/2012/01/text-to-path-conversion-with.html

Or just use Illustrator, really. It is completely mind-blowing that you cannot work with artwork from somebody else if they haven't outlined the font. Affinity really have a long way to go. Unless you only work on solo greenfield projects, then everything is great. But as soon as you start or need to pull in stuff from "outside" it goes haywire really fast.

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot believe that this feature is still missing in the Affinity apps. It renders publisher almost useless, sadly! I do not want to go back to Indesign. 
We need this feature asap! Creating magazines with external ads is crazy problematic - as you get pdfs files, which should be simply able to be imported - without a font change.

• 2 weeks later...