Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

I am a real beginner and thought about buying the Affinity Designer Workbook.

My Question is now, are the books even up to date? The Affinity Designer Workbook is from 2016.

How much has changed in the program itself and the features... Would you guys recommend me to buy the book or is it not worth it anymore?

de-workbook-side@2x-171020161028--desk.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi JadeScout,

Welcome to the forums :)

We've updated the workbooks multiple times since first publisher, with the latest being for version 1.7 around June of 2019. This means the workbooks are still absolutely relevant with the current version of Affinity Designer and you should have no issues following the examples provided in the workbook.

You can also check out our online tutorials and help file for the app, which I've linked below for you. I hope this helps!

Tutorials - https://affinity.serif.com/learn

Help - https://affinity.help/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be nice if those of us that purchased the workbooks prior to 1.7 had the ability to get a PDF update to the changes made in the workbook. Having purchased both books, which equates to a reasonable investment, makes me realize how out-of-date real books soon can be. However, there is still a lot of valuable info in the books, even if they are not specifically current.

 


Windows 10 Pro (Desktop). Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.7.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi JadeScout,

Welcome to the forums :)

We've updated the workbooks multiple times since first publisher, with the latest being for version 1.7 around June of 2019. This means the workbooks are still absolutely relevant with the current version of Affinity Designer and you should have no issues following the examples provided in the workbook.

You can also check out our online tutorials and help file for the app, which I've linked below for you. I hope this helps!

Tutorials - https://affinity.serif.com/learn

Help - https://affinity.help/

Are only the PDFs updated or even the haptic Workbook I can put in my shelf? 

Thanks for your fast response!

Jade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gradient_Phil said:

Would be nice if those of us that purchased the workbooks prior to 1.7 had the ability to get a PDF update to the changes made in the workbook. Having purchased both books, which equates to a reasonable investment, makes me realize how out-of-date real books soon can be. However, there is still a lot of valuable info in the books, even if they are not specifically current.

This is a great idea, and I can certainly see the benefits of this - however AFAIK we don't wish to release any version of the workbook in PDF form as unfortunately this makes the Workbook considerably easier to steal/reproduce without our consent and this can lower the value of everyone's physical copy.

1 hour ago, JadeScout said:

Are only the PDFs updated or even the haptic Workbook I can put in my shelf? 

Thanks for your fast response!

No problem at all Jade :) As mentioned above, unfortunately we don't offer PDF versions of the workbook in any form, the only version you can use is the physical copy that you buy - I hope this clears things up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dan C said:

This is a great idea, and I can certainly see the benefits of this - however AFAIK we don't wish to release any version of the workbook in PDF form as unfortunately this makes the Workbook considerably easier to steal/reproduce without our consent and this can lower the value of everyone's physical copy.

Hey Dan, wasn't suggesting a full PDF version of the book. Obviously I wasn't clear enough :(.

It would be nice if a PDF version of only the changes made to each release was available. That is, you don't rewrite the workbook every time (well I hope not)...only change the relevant parts for the newest release of the software. So in effect, for those of us that had purchased the workbooks, we would only get a select number of PDF pages that show the updated practices with the software. We could than print those out and insert it between the correct pages in the actual book.

Cheers.


Windows 10 Pro (Desktop). Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.7.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.