You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys,

I am a real beginner and thought about buying the Affinity Designer Workbook.

My Question is now, are the books even up to date? The Affinity Designer Workbook is from 2016.

How much has changed in the program itself and the features... Would you guys recommend me to buy the book or is it not worth it anymore?

de-workbook-side@2x-171020161028--desk.png

• Staff

Hi JadeScout,

Welcome to the forums :)

We've updated the workbooks multiple times since first publisher, with the latest being for version 1.7 around June of 2019. This means the workbooks are still absolutely relevant with the current version of Affinity Designer and you should have no issues following the examples provided in the workbook.

You can also check out our online tutorials and help file for the app, which I've linked below for you. I hope this helps!

Tutorials - https://affinity.serif.com/learn

Help - https://affinity.help/

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Would be nice if those of us that purchased the workbooks prior to 1.7 had the ability to get a PDF update to the changes made in the workbook. Having purchased both books, which equates to a reasonable investment, makes me realize how out-of-date real books soon can be. However, there is still a lot of valuable info in the books, even if they are not specifically current.

Windows 10 Pro (Desktop). Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.9.2

14 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi JadeScout,

Welcome to the forums :)

We've updated the workbooks multiple times since first publisher, with the latest being for version 1.7 around June of 2019. This means the workbooks are still absolutely relevant with the current version of Affinity Designer and you should have no issues following the examples provided in the workbook.

You can also check out our online tutorials and help file for the app, which I've linked below for you. I hope this helps!

Tutorials - https://affinity.serif.com/learn

Help - https://affinity.help/

Are only the PDFs updated or even the haptic Workbook I can put in my shelf? 

Thanks for your fast response!

Jade

• Staff
6 hours ago, Gradient_Phil said:

Would be nice if those of us that purchased the workbooks prior to 1.7 had the ability to get a PDF update to the changes made in the workbook. Having purchased both books, which equates to a reasonable investment, makes me realize how out-of-date real books soon can be. However, there is still a lot of valuable info in the books, even if they are not specifically current.

This is a great idea, and I can certainly see the benefits of this - however AFAIK we don't wish to release any version of the workbook in PDF form as unfortunately this makes the Workbook considerably easier to steal/reproduce without our consent and this can lower the value of everyone's physical copy.

1 hour ago, JadeScout said:

Are only the PDFs updated or even the haptic Workbook I can put in my shelf? 

Thanks for your fast response!

No problem at all Jade :) As mentioned above, unfortunately we don't offer PDF versions of the workbook in any form, the only version you can use is the physical copy that you buy - I hope this clears things up!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

10 hours ago, Dan C said:

This is a great idea, and I can certainly see the benefits of this - however AFAIK we don't wish to release any version of the workbook in PDF form as unfortunately this makes the Workbook considerably easier to steal/reproduce without our consent and this can lower the value of everyone's physical copy.

Hey Dan, wasn't suggesting a full PDF version of the book. Obviously I wasn't clear enough :(.

It would be nice if a PDF version of only the changes made to each release was available. That is, you don't rewrite the workbook every time (well I hope not)...only change the relevant parts for the newest release of the software. So in effect, for those of us that had purchased the workbooks, we would only get a select number of PDF pages that show the updated practices with the software. We could than print those out and insert it between the correct pages in the actual book.

Cheers.

Windows 10 Pro (Desktop). Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.9.2

• Staff

My apologies, thanks for clearing that up! 

I can certainly see the usefulness of this, so I'll pass the feedback through to our documentation team :)

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2020 at 11:15 AM, Dan C said:

we don't wish to release any version of the workbook in PDF form as unfortunately this makes the Workbook considerably easier to steal/reproduce without our consent

Just wondering if a fixed-layout Kindle or Apple Books digital book wouldn't solve this type of issue. As far as I know, they should be quite well protected.

Paolo