You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is the information about the changes stored

I sent this yesterday to support. Now I have found this forum I will use it to take the pressure off the office and share it amongst the experienced users. The question was:-

Where you are storing the information about the changes needed to make the good image from the RAW.

I ask as I like to junk the tifs and jpgs from my RAWs as soon as I can and keep enough information to be able to recreate them. In the process I move RAWs that have been worked on from folder to folder - and need to take the 'change' information with them.

In most other software like yours I see 'sidecar' files being created so what I do is migrate them with their RAW.

What does one do with Affinity?

@TonyGamble

Affinity Photo does not create those "sidecar" files that you mention, though the facility has been requested by a number of users, so there is, currently, no method within the app of storing the information about the changes with the RAW files.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

@TonyGamble

5 minutes ago, TonyGamble said:

Does that mean that the information created to modify the RAW file into an acceptable image is not retained anywhere?

As I understand it, yes.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

6 minutes ago, TonyGamble said:

Does that mean that the information created to modify the RAW file into an acceptable image is not retained anywhere?

Correct. You cannot simply save the RAW file and a sidecar of some kind.

You will need to save the TIFF file you create, or save the .afphoto file. If you try to keep just the RAW you will need to rediscover and redo the work to process the file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Jeff and Walt.

Wow. Saving TIFF's for every RAW you process is a big memory challenge. I can't believe any pro, taking lots of shots, can work like that as it trebles (or more) the storeage you need.

Let's assume I cover an event and have one hundred keepers. My first job is to put them on a web catalogue as 1960x1080 jpgs (files of about 1,000k each). I really don't want to be keeping 100 TIFFs. Can I produce .afphoto files automatically so I have the settings that will enable me to do a decent sized print for any orders I get?

Tony

4 minutes ago, TonyGamble said:

Can I produce .afphoto files automatically so I have the settings that will enable me to do a decent sized print for any orders I get?

I'm not sure that saving .afphoto files will take any less storage than TIFFs.

But after you edit, you will need to use FIle > Export to produce your JPEG files. Then, to produce a .afphoto all you need to do is File > Save. (To get a TIFF, if that saves space, you would do another File > Export.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

10 minutes ago, TonyGamble said:

Presumably I can do a batch export of both?

Possibly, via the Export Persona, but I'm not sure.

-- Walt
PC:

If you click on the hamburger icon in Develop Persona, you can save your RAW changes as a preset. unfortunately you have to make a separate preset for each tab (.. lens, details, tones etc.) for which you have made changes.
These presets are stored in the global develop.propcol file  ( Dir  %appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user (Windows) ).

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

2 hours ago, HVDB Photography said:

If you click on the hamburger icon in Develop Persona, you can save your RAW changes as a preset

True, but you'd potentialy need a set of presets per file - it wouldn't be managable. 

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

3 hours ago, TonyGamble said:

I'll look after lunch.

In the Export Persona, in the Slices panel, you can specify multiple kinds of outputs (e.g.,  TIFF and JPG), and then when you export the slice it will produce both automatically. You can even save that setting (kinds of outputs, and the settings for each) as a preset that you can use for exporting future files.

One of the older Affinity Designer tutorials explains that process, and shows an example of both producing multiple outputs and of saving the preset: https://player.vimeo.com/video/185809151/

-- Walt
PC: