You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I believe the Acquire Image command works with scanners, not phones. Here's mine:

212046893_Screenshot2020-02-20at10_19_18.png.bd5c254e7732c7cd224820abc5da658a.png

(I think it's Mac-only too.)

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• Staff

Hi Cartoonjosh :)

The Acquire Image option is an Apple Framework which we connect to when displaying this dialog. As far as I can see from their documentation, this should work for any device that is detected in the 'Image Capture' Mac Utility - including scanners & iPhones.

I've tested this here this morning and I'm seeing the same behaviour as h_d, scanners are detected and iPhones are not when using Acquire Image in Affinity. I believe this is a bug with the current version of Affinity, therefore I'll log this with our development team for further investigation now.

Many thanks for your report!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

It does work after a fashion, @Dan C and @Cartoonjosh

The iPhone has to be physically connected to the computer via USB (not wifi or Bluetooth) - and then you run the standalone Image Capture utility. It's in your Applications - Utilities folder.

You may need to go through security, and then you'll get a display of the images on your phone. At the bottom of the Image Capture window, change the Import To pull-down to Affinity Photo, then click the Import button. The image will open in Affinity Photo.

367405916_Screenshot2020-02-20at11_38_44.thumb.png.73d679357485152412482f18f0333eea.png

It's a bit of kludge I suppose and it would be fab if it worked through Affinity Photo's menu as well.

(It would also be fab if the images displayed in Image Capture were slightly greater than microscopic in size grrrrrrrr.)

Cheers,

H

Edited by h_d
Updated 'double-click' to 'click Import button'

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Hi h_d,

As to the thumbnail sizes you can adjust them with the little slider bottom right corner of the Image Capture window.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Nice one @markw, I take back my grrrrrr.

(You can also import images into Designer and Publisher this way, even though they don't have an Acquire Image menu item.)

This isn’t related directly to AP, but just out of interest, another thing you can do is use your iPhone as a sort of “tethered” camera with Preview to take photos and scan documents directly to your computer by going to File > Import From iPhone > Take Photo or choose Scan Document.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Yup, that works with quite a few of Apple's own apps - including Pages, Numbers and Keynote - via the Insert menu. Cat in a spreadsheet:

792877480_Screenshot2020-02-20at12_20_07.png.72eb07a1a2e487e69a9d4f2afcbb15be.png

Thanks @h_d & @markw for all the tips for acquiring images! 👍

I wonder if it is worth making a bug report about File > Acquire Image... in AP not working as seems it should? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I wonder if it is worth making a bug report about File > Acquire Image... in AP not working as seems it should? 

I think that @Dan C already said he was logging it, in his post a few hours ago.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 2/20/2020 at 12:22 PM, Dan C said:

Hi Cartoonjosh :)

The Acquire Image option is an Apple Framework which we connect to when displaying this dialog. As far as I can see from their documentation, this should work for any device that is detected in the 'Image Capture' Mac Utility - including scanners & iPhones.

I've tested this here this morning and I'm seeing the same behaviour as h_d, scanners are detected and iPhones are not when using Acquire Image in Affinity. I believe this is a bug with the current version of Affinity, therefore I'll log this with our development team for further investigation now.

Many thanks for your report!

Hi, thank you. Yes, in fact I was expecting the same dialog box I get for my scanner but, bo go. I hope this can be fixed :)

On 2/20/2020 at 12:45 PM, h_d said:

It does work after a fashion, @Dan C and @Cartoonjosh

The iPhone has to be physically connected to the computer via USB (not wifi or Bluetooth) - and then you run the standalone Image Capture utility. It's in your Applications - Utilities folder.

You may need to go through security, and then you'll get a display of the images on your phone. At the bottom of the Image Capture window, change the Import To pull-down to Affinity Photo, then click the Import button. The image will open in Affinity Photo.

367405916_Screenshot2020-02-20at11_38_44.thumb.png.73d679357485152412482f18f0333eea.png

It's a bit of kludge I suppose and it would be fab if it worked through Affinity Photo's menu as well.

(It would also be fab if the images displayed in Image Capture were slightly greater than microscopic in size grrrrrrrr.)

Cheers,

H

Hi, thank you, that's a good solution. Problem is, I have stoppe using the Mac's Image Capture because since the last two or three Op Sys updates it seems to have stopped working properly. It won't le me select photos to import (regardless of where I choose to import them) because the selection simply de-selects by itself. As a partial workaround  I started using Preview as an import tool. It would really be great to have this as a direct import into Affinity, though. 

41 minutes ago, Cartoonjosh said:

the selection simply de-selects by itself

That's bad news. I don't know what to suggest - maybe Apple Support?

USB connected to iPhone and download or acquire from USB.  Apple Photos?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

20 minutes ago, Cartoonjosh said:

Problem is, I have stoppe using the Mac's Image Capture because since the last two or three Op Sys updates it seems to have stopped working properly.

Strange. Image Capture works fine for me on Mojave & to the extent I ever used it, also when I was running High Sierra or earlier macOS versions. Does it deselect immediately after making a selection or after clicking the "Import" button?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7