You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

when will boolean operators work as expected?

keiichi77

What is not working on Divide from your point of view? I made the same elements and got expected results. Turn on the Outline view mode to see the other elements. On your lower example did you expect the circle to be cut out on the rectangle?

Help section is talking about intersection, but some elements outlines do not intersect in the sense of crossing lines. But as said, turn on the Outline view mode and you'll see another circle on the rectangle, after you removed the upper circle.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 2/20/2020 at 10:04 AM, keiichi77 said:

What are your expectations?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Watched for hours, but what is wrong in your opinion? What result do you expect from the upper video? What result do you expect from the lower video?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 2/20/2020 at 11:04 AM, keiichi77 said:

2020-02-20_10h58_32.gif

2020-02-20_11h02_24.gif

The DIVIDE operation sometimes faults big time in Designer version 1.7 and is unacceptable in those cases. Especially when it created hundreds of nodes and shape fragments.

The timing is in your favor though - the also faulty expand stroke operation is finally fixed in the latest beta of 1.8 and if we are lucky the divide operation is also fixed when 1.8 is released.

Affinity Designer disqualified itself from anything else than hobby work in my life (due to lack of features and bugs as these ones), so I use it for vector art with pixel textures (the only thing Designer really excels at) for hobby projects. I didn't use the Boolean operators much for that reason, but I don't recall having issues with ADD. Just divide. Whenever your work depends on vector objects and vector manipulation - use something else. Inkscape, Xara, Corel, Illustrator fx.

Check out https://affinityspotlight.com/ ... the majority of articles are about Photo and Publisher and the few articles about Designers are generally about the same type of digital art made with the same few tools. It speaks for itself. Designer has the lowest business priority in the Affinity lineup.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

56 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Designer has the lowest business priority in the Affinity lineup.

This logic would function at Adobe, because each component does its own thing.
In the affinity suite, there is a common code base. If a problem is solved in one component, it is automatically solved in the others too.

59 minutes ago, Michail said:

This logic would function at Adobe, because each component does its own thing.
In the affinity suite, there is a common code base. If a problem is solved in one component, it is automatically solved in the others too.

I am mostly talking about missing features in Serifs 'Affinity Designer' when talking about priority. Unfortunately bugs are also prioritized down. Bugs in Boolean operations that are most important and most used in Designer. It is KEY features in a vector illustrating program.

Had Designer been prioritized higher then the bug would have been fixed in the code - or code base - years earlier.

And... if a problem is not solved in the code base in Affinity, it is not solved in ANY of the three programs. So the IF in "If a problem is solved" is what we are discussing here. Not Adobe vs Serif.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

4 hours ago, Jowday said:

I am mostly talking about missing features in Serifs 'Affinity Designer' when talking about priority.

And I am mostly talking about this thread, and therefore about the boolean operators.
Adobe was just an example of a lack of consistency between applications. "Adobe vs. Serif" is from you - not me.

My priorities as a user are first APh and APu and then AD. With you it seems to be the other way around. That is life. I never understood why Serif started with AD and not APh, but they certainly had good reasons. I nevertheless like working with AD 🙂.

If I may be curious: Which "missing features" are you talking about? And have you already told Serif?

I told them a thousand times 😀 and so did many, many others. Serif knows what they need to know. Their priorities are elsewhere unfortunately.

On 2/21/2020 at 1:00 PM, Joachim_L said:

Second needs Xor not Divide to be used.

you simply don't understand the usecase.

I use division because I need the divided parts too. in real scenarios these are not simple shapes like the ones I demonstrated  with. more of a simplyfied demo to help others to concentrate on the problem.

I use division with more complex shapes, and in lots of cases I divide ornaments to complex fragments and I want to keep those fragments and recolor it, or delete only the quarter of the pattern or I move those parts to layers behind and offset. It is more like a creative process, it's not about exchanging math operators.

division has to work as a cake cutter form tool.

23 hours ago, keiichi77 said:

I tried division in version 1.8 too and failed.  (division and not XOR !!!! )

It is a total wreckage, I can't even tell what the hell is going on, it is some kind of magic pill effect.

I have illustrator too, so I don't care if you don't want to understand the issue guys, or just playing stupid.

2020-02-27_16h48_31.gif

I'm getting this happen when i try as well.