You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Several problems with the brush that do not occur in the previous version

Hi, I have a couple of problems in version 1.8.0.555. My computer is an HP Notebook - 15-dw0015ns, i7, 16g ram and integrated gpu intel UHD graphics 620.

I use the program mainly for painting and for this, I use a wacom pen and touch tablet. Both problems occur when I activate windows ink, but only in 1.8, in 1.7 these particular problems do not exist. The first one is that I can't change the size of the brush by dragging.When i press the right mouse button (in my pen tablet) , a white circle appears around the cursor and nothing happens. The white circle appears whenever I press right mouse button (pen button), it doesn't matter if I press alt or not. A sign also appears on which is written "alt", every time I press that button. Although that does not block the color picker (however the poster appears in the middle of the magnifier of the color picker and is also increased, preventing you from seeing the colors of the canvas correctly). 

The other problem is that it seems that the touch of the pencil takes about half a second to process. When you paint, at the beginning of the stroke the cursor stays frozen for half a second and then the stroke appears suddenly. The exact same thing also happens with the color picker. If you put the brush in the colour selector, it takes the same time, about half a second to place the color at the indicated point. Also the brush very often stops working, the cursor disappears (even so you can see the white circle if pulse right buton) or appear a mouse arrow instead of  the preview of the size brush, and the tool picker color does not work. As I said this does not happen in 1.7 (in this version there is only a small delay in detecting the movement of the brush when changing the size of the brush, something that still appens in 1.8 but  fortunately is less noticeable with the change in the drag system to change the size in this beta version ).

Windows ink unfortunately always gave me many problems, on my old desktop computer and my old surface pro 6 there were programs that I couldn't even use (on the surface 6 you can't disable windows ink). I have not found an option to not have to use windows ink and I'm afraid there isn't, right ?. I hope it is possible to fix these problems, because I would not like not to be able to use affinity, I love this program. Since I am also I would like to comment, although I think that there is already an open topic, that from time to time, in 1.7 with win ink, the brush stops working and only draws straight lines.

Thank you very much for your attention and greetings.

• Staff

Hey Pluscuamperfecto,

We used to recommend disabling Windows Ink with 1.7, however with 1.8 we are encouraging you to re-enable it.

Unfortunately, there are now a couple of niggling issues that this has introduced and we are currently figuring out how to address these.

The first issue you described is related to the niggling issue I mentioned. I haven't noticed the delay though. What size brush/canvas are you using? Does it even matter?

Hi. This happens in 1.7 and 1.8 (only here it shows less, because with the new system you can see how much you have moved the cursor and have it as a reference, I don't know how to explain it, but the new system is better), with windows ink and with wintab, and with any canvas size and brush size (in fact, with the little ones, it's more annoying because you need more precision). I use affinity photo to paint and I change the size of the brush a lot, maybe someone who doesn't use it so much this way doesn't notice it, but if you need to do it every 4 or 5 seconds it's quite uncomfortable. I have tried several painting programs on this computer and it only happens in affinity photo. I leave you a video for you to see. I'm aiming at the points with alt and the pencil button already pressed and then i drag the pen. As you can see there is a small distance in which the brush does not change size, does it later, and returns to the point marked with the suddenly changed size, sometimes the distance is greater and sometimes smaller, but it always does (the video it is affinity 1.7, because in 1.8 it looks worse because of what has been said before, but it happens the same).

Brush_size_lag.rar

Disculpe, no me había dado cuenta de que se refería al otro problema, ¿verdad? El otro problema es el menos importante para mí, solo ocurre de vez en cuando, en affinity 1.8 y no puedo replicarlo. Pero cuando sucede, sucede todo el tiempo y tengo que reiniciar la computadora. El tamaño del lienzo donde lo intento es de 3000 x 3000, y creo que el tamaño del pincel no importa, lo hace con todos los tamaños (con menos de 50 no lo sé, no lo recuerdo, pero también lo creo). Como digo, este problema ocurre ocasionalmente, pero no sé cómo replicarlo. Muchas gracias por su atención.

I've just updated Affinity Photo to version 1.8.0.585 and I am experiencing the same exact problem as Pluscuamperfecto. I use Affinity Photo for painting myself, and found that with the new update, the brush stroke freezes for a half of second, and then continues with the brush stroke.  I have experienced something similar in the past, and found that Windows Ink was the culprit. I tried disabling it this time, and the "freeze" goes away, but of course pen pressure goes away as well.  

Also when Windows Ink is enabled, it frequently causes me to draw only straight lines. 

Hoping to find a way to fix this. I can deal with it, but it is mildly frustrating. 

Thank you for the help! 

• Staff

Hi LindseyW, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Could you both check to see if you're using WARP from Preferences > Performance? If so, change it to your GPU.

When using my GPU, the brush performance is pretty much perfect. I'm using a Wacom Pen Tablet Pro w/ a Grip Pen and the latest drivers. Windows Ink is enabled (we need it now for pressure).

Thank you Chris B! 

I checked those settings, and it was set to default NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970. I set it to my other video card, my NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1070 for better performance. I also went ahead and updated my video cards (which I forgot to do, whoops) to see if that changed anything else. 

So far I am noticing a slight improvement in performance (Could be I'm getting used to it? Who knows), but the pause is not entirely gone. I tested the problem in Photoshop and Clip Studio to see if it's my Cintiq, (I am using a Cintiq 22 HDT for reference) and the brush strokes in those two programs are working properly. 

I recorded a video to show what I am talking about. It's more apparent on the slower brush strokes, where it pauses for a brief second before continuing the brush stroke. The faster brush strokes are way less noticeable. 

2020-02-27_10-19-22.mkv

• Staff

Hey LindseyW,

Could you try doing this with the Layers Panel not in view–so switch to Effects or Adjustments and see if it still lags. We've noticed having the Layers Panel displayed can cause a lag as the Layers Panel tries to update a the same time. 

Hi . I don't know exactly what warp is (if you specify what I check). But my computer is a laptop with an integrated uhd 620 card. I think it is enabled by default and does not have many options, krita and blender work correctly with windows ink. I would say that more than with the card it has more relation with windows ink than with the gpu, it is true that my tablet is a wacom with a few years and the last drivers would say that they are old, but I think there are no others, maybe that is the problem, but in other programs it works correctly and I don't think that i'm the only one with an equal tablet. I would not like to have to buy a new one just to be able to use affinity. I leave you a video so you can see how the delay in drawing and when selecting a color is appreciated, how I can not change the size of the brush because of the white circle and how the alt sign gets in the way of the magnifying glass. It's curious, but in the video that I recorded with OBS studio, the brush preview circle stays frozen when I put the brush on the canvas, but I saw it correctly when i was painting , I don't know if it will be related, this doesn't happen when I record videos of Krita or Blender (I don't care much about this last one, but you might be interested). The time it takes to react the brush is the time that elapses from the point of moving to the large points that I draw (I say it, because not moving the preview in the video is more complicated to see). I have tried to close the layer panel and in my case the problems remain the same. Thank you very much for your attention, and greetings.

Win_Ink_Problems.zip

Hello again, I have discovered that by pressing the right button but from a button on the tablet instead of the pen, the white circle does not appear and you can change the size of the brush (is it not strange?). My pencil has two buttons and neither works to change the size in affinity. This white circle also appears on the windows desktop, and only with the pen buttons, not with the tablet buttons, but as I said, the circle does not appear in Krita, Blender or any other program that I use. Thanks again.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.