You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi... wondering if this is just a weird newbie thing: 

1. I created an 11"x17" poster in Designer with multiple elements. (i.e vector graphics, placed PNGs, text boxes etc.) This shows as a document with a white background, surrounded by the rest of the interface with a black background.  

2. Now I want to experiment with the placement of components on the poster, so I created an artboard with the intention of moving some of the elements of the poster on to the artboard.    This has the effect of changing the background of the whole screen to grey, (the pasteboard?) and it creates  a blank artboard with a white background.  The effect now is that the borders of my original document are no longer visible, and in fact I could move the elements of the poster on the pasteboard itself, (without an artboard at all.....).  

So, my question is, could someone explain (or point me to an explanation) of the artboards vs. pasteboards, vs. just plain documents..... and advise whether I should be actually doing this in Publisher, and not Designer....and simply create my graphics in Designer but do my document assembly in Publisher.  

Many thanks! 

In Preferences > User Interface there is a separate slider to adjust the background grey level for artboards. Set that to the same position as the one above it for non-artboard documents to prevent the background grey level from changing.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 hours ago, lkeyes said:

I created an artboard with the intention of moving some of the elements of the poster on to the artboard

To use a Designer artboard as a pasteboard, you'll need to create an additional artboard at the same shape as your document on which to continue your design. You can do this when you create a new document, or you can draw your first artboard to the shape of your document and then create your 'pasteboard' as a second artboard.

Search the Help files for "Artboards" and follow the links from the main page for lots of info.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.