You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi - I'm trying to use the ellipse marquis tool to select a circle shape. It doesn't seem to respond the way the F1 directions say. I want a perfect circle,  then be able to resize it larger or smaller. Can this be done? Thanks.

You don't say which program you are using, regardless this is a weak point with the affinity applications (in my opinion). I will assume you are using Photo.

The easiest way is to use the Shape tools and then go to the Menubar Select > Selection from layer.

For a Circle hold down the shift key while dragging, for a circle centred hold down the shift and command key. On Mac, I don't know about Windows, check the bottom of the widow after you select the Ellipse Tool for more information.

<Pedant> Marquee is the word you want, Marquis is a minor noble.</Pedant>

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...
48 minutes ago, Glenn Cheney said:

I don't know if I have the same problem. On a Mac, I want to draw a marquee around a circle. I can see how to do this if I know the precise center of the circle, but I don't. How do i get the circle marquee to fit the circle I want to copy? 

@Old Bruce has given you the best method.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:06 PM, Old Bruce said:

The easiest way is to use the Shape tools and then go to the Menubar Select > Selection from layer.

For a Circle hold down the shift key while dragging, for a circle centred hold down the shift and command key. On Mac, I don't know about Windows, check the bottom of the widow after you select the Ellipse Tool for more information.

Widow: a woman who has lost her spouse by death and has not married again. Humorous a woman whose spouse is often away participating in a specified sport or activity: my wife has been a golf widow for the last 30 years.

Window (in context): A framed area on a display screen for viewing information.

😉

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions