You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.556 is still so slow it's unusable

I've touched upon this in earlier (v1.7) posts, but the issue persists.

I have a 100 000 word manuscript in a Word docx file. No images, just text with Word styles applied.

I can import this into PagePlus X9 and get very good performance while doing standard layout work.

If the same document is placed into a new Affinity Publisher document, the program is so slow when doing certain operations, it's unusable. For example, I deleted the first (blank) page 20 minutes ago, and I'm still waiting for the operation to complete. Importing the text was also slow compared to PP, but not unbearably so.

I have the same issue on my ultrabook (4-core i7, 16GB RAM) and my desktop PC (6-core i7, 64GB RAM)

Yes, I know PP is a mature product, but I keep hoping AP will be able to handle a standard 6"x9", 430 page novel sometime soon.

• Staff

Hi @adreamer,

For example, I deleted the first (blank) page 20 minutes ago, and I'm still waiting for the operation to complete. Importing the text was also slow compared to PP, but not unbearably so.

We are aware of some issues in long text heavy documents where deleting pages or performing actions which require the text to re flow can take some time, although 20minutes is quite a long time.

I have a docx file from you previously but it's not nearly as large as what you are referencing, I've used a 250k character docx file and it imported in a few seconds, deleting a page took around 30seconds. If you can upload your docx file here I'll see if I get any different behavior with your file.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi Jon.

I'm a little leery about sharing the document as it represents 15 months of work. It's my first novel and as such has little chance of generating much in the way of income, but still I worry about sharing it 😉

I just re-checked the computer I'm running the .556 test on, and it accepts commands. However, it failed to delete the first page as ordered.

Right clicking the page and selecting Delete once more still results in nothing much happening.

• Staff

The file would only be used for internal testing purposes and the above link is only viewable by Serif staff. 

I've tried to re-create a stress document but can't seem to reproduce it so if you can maybe upload a cut down version of the file (that still causes you issues) does that work?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Deleting single pages from long documents is very slow) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.