You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No "Recents" item in “File -> New” dialog? [All 1.8 apps]

One of the things I really liked about the improved File -> New dialog in the early 1.8 versions of Affinity Publisher was the inclusion of the "Recents" item on the sidebar:

1715308997_New(oldbeta).jpg.44c7d35648a1908d49588f094224f85d.jpg

Unlike the File -> Open Recent menu, which just shows a list of the names of recently opened files, this showed previews of these files. That made it a lot quicker & easier to choose the one I was looking for, particularly if some of the recents did not have very descriptive filenames or several of them were similar.

So is there any chance of that very useful item being reintroduced into future betas & into the eventual 1.8 retail versions of all 3 apps?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

24 minutes ago, Murfee said:

I really liked that feature as well, hopefully they will add a similar panel as New for Open & Open Recents, it would be good to see my recent files again...we know that they can do it 😀

Why add yet another panel when, with one simple change, the existing "New" panel could do the job?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Perhaps because „Recent Documents“ and „New Document“ is a logical contradiction?

I think the idea here is a new document based on a recent document, in other words, a copy. The idea has merit in my opinion, because it is a common thing to open an old file as a starting point for a new file.

They may have plans to introduce something like Startup Assistant for opening recent files (as found in the "old" WebPlus and PhotoPlus products).

Which was graphical and pretty cool when working on multiple projects

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

25 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Perhaps because „Recent Documents“ and „New Document“ is a logical contradiction?

It would not be if (as I suggested in the post I linked to) instead of opening a recent document, it opened an unsaved copy of that document.

Even better (although not without some complications that would have to be considered): add a "Make Template" button in the New Document panel that would add a template from a selected item in the Recents section.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Hi everyone! As you suspected, this is the reason why 'recents' has temporarily disappeared from the 'New Document' dialog... 'New' document that contains a 'Recent' section implies opening that document as a new document, but that isn't what was happening... We'll talk it through and try to make it more clear what to expect and make that happen in the future :)

Thanks!

Matt

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.