You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My first post so let me start out by saying how incredibly pleased I am to see a serious competitor to Photoshop.  Affinity Photo is getting close to being able to replace PS for most of my needs (and has hence saved me from getting locked into the CC subscription model).  For me, actions and plugin support will mean I will be able to 99% transfer my workflow.  I don't do illustration/graphic design work but I have also bought Designer because at that price it is both worth playing with and, more importantly, supporting the development effort.

A feature I find very useful in Photoshop is alt-clicking on a layer's visibility icon in the layers panel.  This causes all but the clicked layer to become invisible and thus allows that single layer to be viewed.  A second alt-click restores all layers to their original visibility settings.

This doesn't appear to work in Affinity Photo so is there some other way of quickly viewing a single layer and then simply restoring the original state of layer visibility?  Having to select all other layers and toggle them on and off is a tedious way to examine a single layer.

Thanks, MEB.  Actually, I think that's a better way to do it.  It dissociates the single layer view from the overall layer visibility configuration.  Being able to view one layer while still seeing the state of each layer's visibility checkbox is helpful.

• 4 years later...

"I thought I tried it and it didn't do anything."

This only works if you are changing layer with the alt-click - If you have layer 3 selected and alt-click on layer 3, then nothing happens, but if you alt-click on layer 2 then only layer 2 is displayed. So to display only layer 3 you would have to click on another layer first, then alt-click back onto on layer 3.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, Peach said:

I had about 15 layers and some how did something because now I only have 1 layer instead of 15. Any suggestions? Greatly appreciated! Txs

Try looking at the sequence of commands that could have caused it (History panel).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.