You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photos appear dark in Develop Persona, light in Photo Persona

Hello- I am a new Affinity user (got the program this January.)

I have questions about the Develop persona. I shoot with a Nikon D7000 and use a Dell laptop running Windows 10.

I find that NEF RAW files usually display as very dark in the Develop persona and lighten significantly when I hit "Develop" and move to the regular Photo persona. Then I have to re-adjust the levels if I want to get it back to how the photo appeared after edits in Develop. The confusing thing is, this does not happen with every image, and I can't figure out which variables differ between the photos that preview accurately in Develop and the photos that do not. It might have to do with which specific edits I applied in Develop, and this issue may come up more with photos that were already on the darker end of the spectrum. I have checked my monitor display settings and they seem to be OK.

Is there something I can do to make the Develop persona provide a more accurate preview of how the photo will appear in the main Affinity Photo Persona? Is there something basic I am missing?

Thanks,

Alexis

• Staff

Hi alexis_amphibian :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Could you please open a RAW file in the Develop Persona, then navigate to the 32bit Preview Studio (View>Studio>32bit Preview) and provide a screenshot of your settings here?

Then can you please open Edit>Preferences>Colour and provide a screenshot of these settings also? Are you using a custom ICC profile for your monitor, set through the OS? Do you have a HDR compatible laptop (and if so, is this turned ON in Windows settings?)

Thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for your screenshot! Could you please Check Unmanaged in this dialog, then Recheck ICC Display Transform.

Now, zoom out to 100% and take a screenshot, then Develop the image, return to 100% zoom and take another, then attach these 2 to your reply here so I can better visualise the difference in brightness you're seeing.

On 2/19/2020 at 8:55 AM, Dan C said:

Then can you please open Edit>Preferences>Colour and provide a screenshot of these settings also? Are you using a custom ICC profile for your monitor, set through the OS? Do you have a HDR compatible laptop (and if so, is this turned ON in Windows settings?)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @JordanW,

Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble! If you are using ICC profiles in Affinity, you first need to make sure this is set correctly both in your OS settings & within Affinity to ensure the image is being displayed correctly.

Please read through the below article and ensure you have your colour settings set correctly - 

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/display-colour-management-in-the-affinity-apps/

If you've followed this and you're still seeing incorrect colours/brightness in Affinity,  could you please open a RAW file in the Develop Persona, then navigate to the 32bit Preview Studio (View>Studio>32bit Preview). Here please make sure that ICC Display Transform is active, if it already is, please try Checking Unmanaged in this dialog, then Rechecking ICC Display Transform.

If this doesn't seem to help, please open a RAW file, zoom out to 100% (CMD + 9) and take a screenshot, then Develop the image, return to 100% zoom and take another, then attach these 2 to your reply here so I can better visualise the difference in brightness you're seeing.

Many thanks in advance!