You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IDML export

19 hours ago, PaoloT said:

But there are several CS6 installations still active. Not all the companies update the computers so often. If a system works, it works. So, I would have expected a flawless conversion.

If I were Adobe I would want people using the old software to update to the new pay every month scheme.

If I were Adobe I would maybe put something in the new rental version IDML export files that would break if opened with a CS6 version. Eventiually the CS6 users will become tired of having these problems and upgrade to the monthly plan.

If I were Adobe: Profit for me.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

If I were Adobe I would want people using the old software to update to the new pay every month scheme.

If I were Adobe I would maybe put something in the new rental version IDML export files that would break if opened with a CS6 version. Eventiually the CS6 users will become tired of having these problems and upgrade to the monthly plan.

If I were Adobe: Profit for me.

They already do enough, breaking the compatibility between the new versions of their software and the older operating systems. 
I'd more than happily work with InDesign CS6, but I need the speed of the recent Apple computers. Can't think of manage documents with hundreds of pages and Tiff images with a Power Mac G4. 

22 hours ago, emarillo said:

I'd more than happily work with InDesign CS6, but I need the speed of the recent Apple computers. Can't think of manage documents with hundreds of pages and Tiff images with a Power Mac G4.

I don't think you'd even be able to run InDesign CS6 on a Power Mac  G4.  InDesign CS6 requires a multicore Intel processor and Mac OS X 10.6.8 or higher.  The Power Mac G4 doesn't have an Intel processor and I think the G4 maxed out at Mac OS X 10.5.8.

33 minutes ago, dcr said:

I don't think you'd even be able to run InDesign CS6 on a Power Mac  G4.  InDesign CS6 requires a multicore Intel processor and Mac OS X 10.6.8 or higher.  The Power Mac G4 doesn't have an Intel processor and I think the G4 maxed out at Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Yes, sorry I didn't check the exact specs. Even so, a couple of days ago I put my home Mac against an M1 iMac:

My home Mac -> Mac mini Late 2014, Intel i7 @ 3 GHz, 16 GB of RAM, Fusion Drive with 128 GB on PCIe SSD combined with a 2 TB SHDD. Still a great machine.

M1 24" iMac -> A friend of mine just bought it, I don't know the exact specs.

We tried to export a hi-res PDF from the exact same .indd file, with the same InDesign version (CC2021) and the same PDF profile. 12 pages with lots of hi-res TIFFs (Links folder was about 300 MB)

My Mac took 39 secs

His Mac took 18 secs

I've never been an early adopter of the latest Apple computers (my work machine is a Late 2015 27" iMac, nicely upgraded with an internal SSD. Still good). But I can't think of going back to manage such documents with .indd CS6 on a Core 2 Duo machine. 

That's why I have to pay for the Adobe subscription :)

All I can say is that InDesign CS6 works great on Sierra. Not so great on High Sierra (sometimes you need to scroll to refresh the display), and just passably on Mojave (it crashes even more than usual). These are all modern operating systems running on the latest Intel Macs (apart for the most recent ones). Assuming you just need to do minor works, you can even run it on Parallels Desktop with a Sierra virtual machine.

I'm not encouraging anybody to do it, but it may be the last line of resistance before Publisher 2.0 arrives and rescues all of us.

Paolo

16 hours ago, PaoloT said:

All I can say is that InDesign CS6 works great on Sierra.

I still run it under Snow Leopard.  I don't do subscriptions, so I can't move past Suitcase Fusion 3 which I don't think will run on anything higher than Snow Leopard.

I use Font Explorer X Pro with Affinity, but I don't like it as much as I did Suitcase.

16 hours ago, PaoloT said:

I'm not encouraging anybody to do it, but it may be the last line of resistance before Publisher 2.0 arrives and rescues all of us.

I'd probably still be able to get along with InDesign CS3 but InDesign CS6 had better compatibility with something I don't remember anymore, which was why I upgraded at the time.  And jumping from CS3 to CS6 wasn't a problem but there's no way to convert an InDesign CS6 file down to an InDesign CS3 file.  Well, there is, but it requires InDesign CS4 which doesn't help me.

And that's one of the reasons I look for multiple export options in page layout software now so I have options in getting a file from one application to another if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to pay $300 for a PDF to InDesign conversion software, simply because I need some documents converted to IDML for translation. I'd rather pay that money to Affinity. If only Publisher could export IDML files.

30 minutes ago, tudor said:

I'm about to pay $300 for a PDF to InDesign conversion software, simply because I need some documents converted to IDML for translation. I'd rather pay that money to Affinity. If only Publisher cold export IDML files.

I beg your pardon, I don't get it. Have you since now worked in Publisher and are going to export your layouts in PDF, in order to convert them in IDML via a third party software?

On 6/16/2022 at 1:53 PM, emarillo said:

Yes, sorry I didn't check the exact specs. Even so, a couple of days ago I put my home Mac against an M1 iMac:

My home Mac -> Mac mini Late 2014, Intel i7 @ 3 GHz, 16 GB of RAM, Fusion Drive with 128 GB on PCIe SSD combined with a 2 TB SHDD. Still a great machine.

M1 24" iMac -> A friend of mine just bought it, I don't know the exact specs.

We tried to export a hi-res PDF from the exact same .indd file, with the same InDesign version (CC2021) and the same PDF profile. 12 pages with lots of hi-res TIFFs (Links folder was about 300 MB)

My Mac took 39 secs

His Mac took 18 secs

I've never been an early adopter of the latest Apple computers (my work machine is a Late 2015 27" iMac, nicely upgraded with an internal SSD. Still good). But I can't think of going back to manage such documents with .indd CS6 on a Core 2 Duo machine. 

That's why I have to pay for the Adobe subscription :)

Big thing with Indesign CS6 is it is a 32bit app only. Indesign CC brought about Indesign 64bit and it makes a HUGE difference, especially when getting into variable data and exporting large PDF's

9 minutes ago, emarillo said:

I beg your pardon, I don't get it. Have you since now worked in Publisher and are going to export your layouts in PDF, in order to convert them in IDML via a third party software?

Yes, exactly. The translation company wants InDesign files. I made the brochures in Affinity Publisher. Therefore, I need a conversion software.

20 minutes ago, tudor said:

Yes, exactly. The translation company wants InDesign files. I made the brochures in Affinity Publisher. Therefore, I need a conversion software.

In my opinion this one's on you -- in which way and format you hand over your work to the client / customer is usually discussed before starting work. I you agree with the customer to hand over 'original files' (which is unusual anyway), you simply hand over whatever you have, if you specifically agree to send them InDesign files and consciously work with a software you know is not compatible, that is your problem.

My suggestion is to tell them that you did not work in InDesign, apologise, send them the Affinity files and throw in a license for Publiaher free of charge so they can open and work with your files. Next time, use InDesign, when the customer insists on getting InDesign files.

Many people, by the way, use 'InDesign' as a placeholder for 'design software' (well done, Adobes marketing team!), many non prpfessionals think InDesign is the only software on the market (again, well done Adobe marketing team!), lastly someone might say 'original files' but mean 'InDesign files' because they assume that's what you use -- when talking to a client, always make sure you are talking about the same thing to avoid misunderstandings.

No other professional design aoftware exports into a competitors format -- you cannot save a Quark file from InDesign. Reason for this is that the set up of ntive files is not published and considered a trade secret if you will. Also the slightly different feature sets make it impossible to transfer files with 100% accuracy.

51 minutes ago, tudor said:

Wow. Seems like a hellish nightmare to me. Even with the finest conversion tool you'll never get a hassle free result.

Why don't you:

- Export your Publisher layout as a single pages PDF
- Use the InDesign script "Place multipage PDF" to insert them in a .indd file.
- Give this latter file to your client
- Along with it, give your client a text-only file exported form Publisher, so he can work on the text at his convenience. 

You could be lucky, since your client could be one of those "we need the open files" for archiving purposes only. 
Once you provide him with an editable RTF document, you could get away with it :)

If, on the contrary, your client need the .indd file to actually edit it, I'm afraid I have to agree with Jens Krebs: always ask first.

1 hour ago, Jens Krebs said:

In my opinion this one's on you -- in which way and format you hand over your work to the client / customer is usually discussed before starting work. I you agree with the customer to hand over 'original files' (which is unusual anyway), you simply hand over whatever you have, if you specifically agree to send them InDesign files and consciously work with a software you know is not compatible, that is your problem.

The client had no requirements about the source file format, as long as I supplied them with PDFs they can print or publish on the web. This time, the specific requirement for IDML files came from the translation company. They use a translation software which accepts only IDML files. My client had no idea about that.

I have no problem paying for the conversion software. I just wanted to nudge Affinity again about the importance of having an IDML export feature inside Publisher.

47 minutes ago, emarillo said:

Wow. Seems like a hellish nightmare to me. Even with the finest conversion tool you'll never get a hassle free result.

It's no big deal, I tried the conversion software and the results are okay. The translation software requires a readable IDML file. I can do the layout tweaks in InDesign afterwards.

2 minutes ago, tudor said:

The client had no requirements about the source file format, as long as I supplied them with PDFs they can print or publish on the web. This time, the specific requirement for IDML files came from the translation company. They use a translation software which accepts only IDML files. My client had no idea about that.

I have no problem paying for the conversion software. I just wanted to nudge Affinity again about the importance of having an IDML export feature inside Publisher.

I'm aware f a bunch of translation services that accept IDML as a source file. Nonetheless, they do also traslate from a vast series of other document formats. 
Could you maybe ask to be put in contact with someone at the translation company, in order to sort this out?

2 minutes ago, tudor said:

It's no big deal, I tried the conversion software and the results are okay. The translation software requires a readable IDML file. I can do the layout tweaks in InDesign afterwards.

Got it. All's well what ends well :)

1 minute ago, emarillo said:

I'm aware f a bunch of translation services that accept IDML as a source file. Nonetheless, they do also traslate from a vast series of other document formats. 
Could you maybe ask to be put in contact with someone at the translation company, in order to sort this out?

Yes, they said that "working with a PDF will not yield great results".

40 minutes ago, tudor said:

Yes, they said that "working with a PDF will not yield great results".

Could you not just give them a Word doc? I never supplied Indesign files when I get translation work done. I send them what I want in Word, they translate, send back and I put in and do all my formatting just as I would if it were in English. 

2 hours ago, Jens Krebs said:

My suggestion is to tell them that you did not work in InDesign, apologise, send them the Affinity files and throw in a license for Publiaher free of charge so they can open and work with your files. Next time, use InDesign, when the customer insists on getting InDesign files.

A translation agency will not work on Publisher files. There is no translation tool that can read those files, as far as I know. They need compatible files, that are usually IDML files.

If the source material is very short, they may copy & paste the text, do their translation, and then reassemble it in the layout. But this will probably be charged as additional layout work.

Paolo

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...