You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IDML export

Hi,

I think this has not been asked as of yet (at least, I can't find it when searching). Probably, most of us are interested in IDML import, since the most urgent thing is transitioning from ID to APublisher.

However, I think that the ability of exporting IDML is still very important in a professional context.

1) Most of the professional publishing sector will be based on ID for years, and being able to transfer our files to a larger workgroup is very important to have our work accepted.

2) Computer aided translation tools are usually compatible with IDML files (and I can confirm they can be perfectly compatibile with ID). Translating our work will probably mean that the translators will ask us an IDML file.

So, I hope to see this implemented in a near future version.

Paolo

The very long thread about importing INDD and IDML files contained a few mentions about it. Now that we are getting IDML import, a dedicated IDML Export requested thread is not a bad idea. There is at least one other, besides a few other mentions in other threads as well.

Personally, even though I appreciate IDML import, exporting to that format does not interest me, but I do not wish to take away from those of you who do want to request the feature.

Personally, I do not have an immediate use for either one (IDML import or export), but I still recognize having both of these as being a significant advantage if the product does eventually include this.  It helps to future-proof documents created in the program as it provides for two-way exchange with a known format that could then be read or created by other tools.  This would not only be of benefit not only for exchange with other layout applications, it also opens up the possibility for specialized programs to perform specific tasks that may not fit into the normal workflow of a layout tool.  That can easily be a big selling point as not many layout applications currently offer this.

Hello all,

I am responsible for public relations at the German Mycological Society and create all my printing templates with Affinity Publisher. However, a colleague from the Presidium, who also designs printed matter, has been working with Indesign for years. Neither she nor I want to learn how to use the other app. Besides, I am not willing to spend money of our society for this and certainly not my own.

I myself have an easy job importing her data: She exports her documents as PDF/X-4 files with image compression disabled. I open them and save them as .afpub files. With version 1.8 I can now also use IDML import.

But how can my colleague open my .afpub or .pdf files? Unfortunately, Indesign can only open .pdf files as images. And .afpub files aren't supported, if I remember correctly. But without being able to exchange the data in both directions, there is no efficient creative collaboration. In any case, I wouldn't know how.

Because of that it would be great if Serif could add IDML export in future.

Regards, Andreas

7 hours ago, AK_CCM said:

But how can my colleague open my .afpub or .pdf files? Unfortunately, Indesign can only open .pdf files as images. And .afpub files aren't supported, if I remember correctly. But without being able to exchange the data in both directions, there is no efficient creative collaboration. In any case, I wouldn't know how.

You are right. Adobe can only place PDF files, not open them. Of course they can still be vector but that's it. This might be a good opportunity to show your colleague Affinity as it really can do a lot that Indesign cannot, especially if you can show how you can edit pictures without going to Photoshop. Affinity brilliantly opens PDF, IDML, or can copy and paste fairly well from Indesign. It is a shame that Indesign has not had much love in the last 10 years. It's basically the same as CS6 with a few small things added. I have to pay the subscription or I would be locked out of my thousands of INDD files. Show knows though now that IDML is available for import, I think it will change everything.

Most grafic designers need to work with partners who use adobe products. Exporting in idml format is essential for most of us and I think Serif knows this. Anyway, I hope so ... I don't think anyone here wants a world where you only work with one brand of software. :p

++;

Windows 10 21H2 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz - 16,0 Go - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

On 2/26/2020 at 8:39 PM, AK_CCM said:

Hello all,

I am responsible for public relations at the German Mycological Society and create all my printing templates with Affinity Publisher. However, a colleague from the Presidium, who also designs printed matter, has been working with Indesign for years. Neither she nor I want to learn how to use the other app. Besides, I am not willing to spend money of our society for this and certainly not my own.

I myself have an easy job importing her data: She exports her documents as PDF/X-4 files with image compression disabled. I open them and save them as .afpub files. With version 1.8 I can now also use IDML import.

Because of that it would be great if Serif could add IDML export in future.

Regards, Andreas

Hi Andreas, would appreciate a good solution for this issue either – preferably before purchasing Publisher. Have you found a clue in the meantime? 

Greetings from Daun, Germany

Metty Eisenbein

---

Hi Andreas, für das Problem hätte ich auch gerne eine gute Lösung – am liebsten natürlich, bevor ich Publisher kaufe. Hast Du da inzwischen eine Lösung gefunden?  

Grüße aus  Daun: Metty Eisenbein

On 2/29/2020 at 9:11 PM, Burny said:

Most grafic designers need to work with partners who use adobe products. Exporting in idml format is essential for most of us and I think Serif knows this. Anyway, I hope so ... I don't think anyone here wants a world where you only work with one brand of software. :p

++;

On 3/3/2020 at 3:52 PM, jaycanuck74 said:

+ 1 for exporting IDML. Currently facing a project where I would need to give the client IDML files.  I will probably have to revert into CS5 for this.

So true. I would be nice to be able to fully commit to Affinity.

Please let me propose a general definition:

"IDML is to page layout what DOCX is to formatted text, XLSX to spreadsheets, and MusicXML (MXL) to music scores".

While some are proprietary and some open domain, they are all accessible standards for data exchange.

Paolo

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something? IDML support is in the current version of Publisher. That being said I would never trust it if you are working with people using Indesign and collaborating on the same file. You are just going to create massive headaches for both sides. I had a simple business card and decided I wanted to see how Publisher would handle it. Business card file in Indesign has an linked .eps, .ai, .psd file. Everything looked fine save for the .PSD image which is a Instagram logo. Small stuff like this are real headaches if you are trying to cross collaborate between different applications. If you make your living doing this I would suggest it is worth the monthly subscription fee to stay with Adobe. 

6 hours ago, wonderings said:

Am I missing something? IDML support is in the current version of Publisher. That being said I would never trust it if you are working with people using Indesign and collaborating on the same file. You are just going to create massive headaches for both sides. I had a simple business card and decided I wanted to see how Publisher would handle it. Business card file in Indesign has an linked .eps, .ai, .psd file. Everything looked fine save for the .PSD image which is a Instagram logo. Small stuff like this are real headaches if you are trying to cross collaborate between different applications. If you make your living doing this I would suggest it is worth the monthly subscription fee to stay with Adobe. 

Publisher is able to import IDML files, but not export. I have used and still love Adobe programs. The subscription fee is just a little too much for me right now. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fde101 said:

The "native format" of a document created in Publisher would be an .afpub file, not an InDesign file.

Sure. My clients in fact ask for the InDesign documents, along with the Hi-Res PDFs I usually send them. Therefore, having an .idml export option in Publisher would be very appreciated (otherwise I'm stuck with InDesign).

27 minutes ago, emarillo said:

Sure. My clients in fact ask for the InDesign documents, along with the Hi-Res PDFs I usually send them. Therefore, having an .idml export option in Publisher would be very appreciated (otherwise I'm stuck with InDesign).

idml export is not going to give perfect indesign translation. The way Publisher would make an .idml might have it opening up completely different or not as you intended when they open in Indesign. If you need collaborative files or correct native files for your clients you should stick with Indesign. 

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

idml export is not going to give perfect indesign translation. The way Publisher would make an .idml might have it opening up completely different or not as you intended when they open in Indesign. If you need collaborative files or correct native files for your clients you should stick with Indesign. 

No, I don't need them. My clients ask me the .indd files only for archiving purposes, so IDML exported documents would equally do.