You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dear Folks, For over 20 years I've been making cards, posters, booklets - all basic things that were oh so simple in PagePlus. I know Affinity is a far advanced program but:

- If I make greeting cards - they don't really come out right/even

- If I try to do mirror margins - oh horror - I've been working on simple mirror margins for months with such a mess: in Word, in PagePlus (they removed that option!) in Publisher, it's so simple!

- I listened to the tutorial on "Booklets" and truthfully, still couldn't figure how to make a simple 8.5x11" page into a booklet.

Please - those of you who do more professional work, and for whom this program is A+ Class - could you help those of us who are NOT doing magazine or book spreads?  Could someone come up with a series of templates for 1) simple mirror margins, 2) Booklets of a chosen size - this would probably do also for 3) Greeting cards of various sizes (mine are 7x10 landscape or topfold) -  7x10 for instance is close to B5 but not B5. I've had Affinity Publisher since it came out, and though I've often "practiced" on it, cannot work on it seriously. I know that if I could get started I would easily learn as I go along - It's how I learned Photoshop, Page and PhotoPlus and every other Photo and Publishing program I've used. Also, PLEASE don't "phase out" elements of PagePlus or PhotoPlus to force users to Afinity; it seems that might be happening? Booklets have caused unusual problems lately, mirror margins are now grayed out ... It's the only foundational software that does everything less advanced users need. Greeting Card programs do almost nothing. I am writing this as a deeply devoted user of Serif products, and a seriously 'would be' user of Affinity. Templates would be a great start (You know the opening screen for PagePlus?) Thank you so much!  Sister Regina Dierson

31 minutes ago, peacenjoy said:

PLEASE don't "phase out" elements of PagePlus or PhotoPlus to force users to Afinity; it seems that might be happening? Booklets have caused unusual problems lately, mirror margins are now grayed out

Serif can't remove/"phase out" anything from a piece of software that you have installed on your PC. If something isn't working as it used to do there must be another reason.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

3 hours ago, peacenjoy said:

how to make a simple 8.5x11" page into a booklet.

Set a custom page size of 5.5" x 8.5" and make sure there is an even multiple of 4 pages in the document.

In the print dialog (File->Print), set the paper size to US Letter, then in the Document Layout section (on the Mac, use the popup menu directly underneath the paper size control; may be organized slightly differently on Windoze), set Model to Booklet.

Use the printer settings to configure duplexing appropriately if you are printing.

You can then print or export the PDF from there.

3 hours ago, peacenjoy said:

Greeting cards of various sizes

In theory, this is just a booklet of four pages (front, inside top, inside bottom, back) printed to cardstock...

Again, the page size of the Publisher document is the size of the finished page (after folding); the size of the paper set in the Print dialog is the size of the actual sheet of paper it is being printed on.

However, a top-fold card may present a problem with the set of options currently available for imposing under Publisher...  I will need to play with that a bit more later on; this is a use case I hadn't really thought about before...  side fold cards should be trivial using the booklet feature, but I'm not sure if the current booklet feature can adapt to a top-fold scenario...  hmm...

Thank you so much, fde101!  This is a big help to me; you explained it very well because choosing the right page size is what's confusing. Booklet is full page folded in half, the 7x10 cards are 7x5 folded. I'm going to copy all these instructions out when I get back to my regular computer.  Topfold I can just do 7x10,  make 2 pages, divide each page in half, then for the outside put the graphic on the bottom and  the logo upside down on top. Inside is straightforward, top and bottom.  It's the booklet that really threw me! Thanks again!  Sister Regina

11 hours ago, peacenjoy said:

Topfold I can just do 7x10,  make 2 pages, divide each page in half

Instead of that, try setting the page size to 5" W x 7" H, facing pages, arranged vertically, starting at the bottom, with four pages.

When designing the card, page 1 will be on its own and represent the front of the card.  Pages 2 and 3 will show up stacked as a spread, representing the inside of the card when it is opened.  Page 4 will be on its own, representing the back of the card.

Then when printing, select 7" x 10" as the paper size, set the document layout to booklet, and if your printer can print on both sides, set it to flip on the short edge.

Publisher will "divide each page in half" for you automatically that way.

FDE101 - You are a big help to me. These are probably formats used for magazines or professional work with which I am unacquainted. I hope that when they come out with a book for Publisher, it will have these things and more explained because I would really like to become proficient in the program. Admittedly, it's the first one that's really confused me, but that's because I was never trained in professional layouts. PagePlus was so clear! Of course, having the Templates probably did all the work. Thank you again - truly!  Sister Regina

• 7 months later...

I posted a thread about this about a day or 2 ago.

I honestly hate to sound THIS clueless but, I read these instructions and I have no clue what you are all talking about.

I also would like to make a 5.5x8.5 booklet comic book [maga]zine to take to an actual printer, not for my desktop printer, for a run of 300 hundred copies, 30 page booklets in full color.

Now, I have had suggestions made before, I assume, under the assumption that the users believed I knew what they were saying.

Embarrassingly, all this stuff with Affinity Publisher goes over my head. I try to sit and "get it" but it isn't the same as Photo or Designer.

I have used GIMP and Inkscape in the past which has helped to transition to those programs but even in the days of Linux, Scribus was like learning rocket science.

I know I'm rambling but

is there a kind soul on these forums that can direct me to a visual instruction to create this specific project with the most recent version of Publisher. I have checked on YT and, unless I am searching incorrectly, I can't seem to find the info I need.

I apologize for my cluelessness, I'm sure this is a relatively simple process but it really does go over my head.

I assume you will be doing the artwork in Photo and or Designer as a whole page and the the layout in Publisher. Here is a basic file just put the pictures in the frames. I set it up as cmyk so if it is going to be greyscale (black and white only) you'll have to change the document colourspace to greyscale in the File > Document Setup ... Colour tab. 

This was quicker than searching for tutorials. Go page by page and put in the pictures.

comic cmyk.afpub

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I assume you will be doing the artwork in Photo and or Designer as a whole page and the the layout in Publisher. Here is a basic file just put the pictures in the frames. I set it up as cmyk so if it is going to be greyscale (black and white only) you'll have to change the document colourspace to greyscale in the File > Document Setup ... Colour tab. 

This was quicker than searching for tutorials. Go page by page and put in the pictures.

comic cmyk.afpub

Awesome, thank you. I can definitely use this for another project.

The project in question though, is more of a literary zine with photos of art and essays. I assume I'd be able to do the same with this file.