As far as i can see, there are no categories defined ! You need at least one to save your macro into.

Affinity Photo  1.8.0.585   -  Beta 1.8.0.555

Windows 10 Home  1909 (build 18363.657) - 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB
Calibrated Monitor (Datacolor Spyder5 Pro)

Well, there should at least exist a "Default" category.
Clicking on "create new category" doesn't show a popup, it immediately creates a new category named "macros" which you can rename to whatever.

Affinity Photo  1.8.0.585   -  Beta 1.8.0.555

Windows 10 Home  1909 (build 18363.657) - 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB
Calibrated Monitor (Datacolor Spyder5 Pro)

i now tried to import a .afmacros file nad got this error message...

in the facebook group i was suggested to reset the user so the default category would show up.. but it doesnt.

What should the format of macros be? I suppose it's .afmacros?

If I click on "Library" -> Arrow top right -> "Create new category" nothing happens at all.

Screenshot 2020-02-19 13.08.19.png

27 minutes ago, alex06 said:

What should the format of macros be? I suppose it's .afmacros?

Yes. And that error message suggests that your download of the .afmacros file did not work properly. I would download it again.

Still, you may need a category in order for the import to succeed.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 20H2 (19042.685),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop (2021-04-06):  32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz
, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.2.1024 Beta

Close APhoto

Use File manager to locate and delete this propcol file

%appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user\macros.propcol

Restart APhoto and try again

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Just now, alex06 said:

Would it be a wise idea to delete that one?

No. That one is needed. It's part of the program itself. You need to be fixing the copy it makes for you.

If you press the Windows key and R, and type or paste %AppData%\Affnity\Photo\1.0\user into the Run box, and press enter, you should get a File Explorer window pointing to the right directory.

-- Walt

Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.2.1024 Beta

6 minutes ago, alex06 said:

Hmm... there might be the issue... I don't find an \1.0\ folder...

There is a macros.propcol file under C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Resources\Affinity Photo
Would it be a wise idea to delete that one?

No do not delete that one

Do you know what we mean when we say %appdata% ?

Do you have this folder ?

%appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

If you've deleted that file from Program Files, you should restore it. Or reinstall the program completely.

-- Walt

I don't believe to have deleted it. And I tried reinstalling it already - that didn't help.

I followed the guide with Windows key and R - I get the message "Path not Available" I will try to uninstall again install it again...

Do you think it would be necessary to clean out specific folders which might reamain?

Try this...

If you press the Windows key and R, and type or paste %AppData% into the Run box, and press enter, you should get a File Explorer window 

Do you then see a folder called Affinity on the right hand side

• 9 months later...

I'm reopening this thread because I'm facing the same issue on macOS 11 Big Sur with Affinity Photo 1.8.6 (my system is in French). The library panel is empty and I cannot save new macros or create new categories.

When I reset the settings (launching Photo with a right-click while pressing the Ctrl button), the macros are working but they are gone once I restart the program and I cannot save macros anymore until I reset the settings again... Any idea?