You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Macros Saving not working

Well, there should at least exist a "Default" category.
Clicking on "create new category" doesn't show a popup, it immediately creates a new category named "macros" which you can rename to whatever.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

i now tried to import a .afmacros file nad got this error message...

in the facebook group i was suggested to reset the user so the default category would show up.. but it doesnt.

What should the format of macros be? I suppose it's .afmacros?

If I click on "Library" -> Arrow top right -> "Create new category" nothing happens at all.

Screenshot 2020-02-19 13.08.19.png

27 minutes ago, alex06 said:

What should the format of macros be? I suppose it's .afmacros?

Yes. And that error message suggests that your download of the .afmacros file did not work properly. I would download it again.

Still, you may need a category in order for the import to succeed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Close APhoto

Use File manager to locate and delete this propcol file

%appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user\macros.propcol

Restart APhoto and try again

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Just now, alex06 said:

Would it be a wise idea to delete that one?

No. That one is needed. It's part of the program itself. You need to be fixing the copy it makes for you.

If you press the Windows key and R, and type or paste %AppData%\Affnity\Photo\1.0\user into the Run box, and press enter, you should get a File Explorer window pointing to the right directory.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 minutes ago, alex06 said:

Hmm... there might be the issue... I don't find an \1.0\ folder...

There is a macros.propcol file under C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Resources\Affinity Photo
Would it be a wise idea to delete that one?

No do not delete that one

Do you know what we mean when we say %appdata% ?

Do you have this folder ?

%appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

If you've deleted that file from Program Files, you should restore it. Or reinstall the program completely.

-- Walt
PC:

I don't believe to have deleted it. And I tried reinstalling it already - that didn't help.

I followed the guide with Windows key and R - I get the message "Path not Available" I will try to uninstall again install it again...

Do you think it would be necessary to clean out specific folders which might reamain?

Try this...

If you press the Windows key and R, and type or paste %AppData% into the Run box, and press enter, you should get a File Explorer window 

Do you then see a folder called Affinity on the right hand side

• 9 months later...

I'm reopening this thread because I'm facing the same issue on macOS 11 Big Sur with Affinity Photo 1.8.6 (my system is in French). The library panel is empty and I cannot save new macros or create new categories.

When I reset the settings (launching Photo with a right-click while pressing the Ctrl button), the macros are working but they are gone once I restart the program and I cannot save macros anymore until I reset the settings again... Any idea?