You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Crashing when Altering Grind Settings

Ginblue

Have to re revisit this as this is issue has returned. Having reinstalled Designer (see previous post) I thought the issue had resolved but it has returned. The first document (Crash Test 1) that I opened allows me to made alterations to the grid setting without crashing and still does if I reopen it and work in it all is well. All subsequent documents (Crash Test 2) crash as soon as grid setting are altered. Cannot do anything in the grid and axis manager without a crash, with the exception of this one document.

I use isometric grids frequently so this is a big problem for me. I've updated all drivers, even reinstalled Windows, reinstalled Designer, deleted app data which seem to result in the one usable document I have.

Does anyone have any idea how I can solve this or what is causing this issue. Have attached the working file and a crashing file example.

Thanks in advance and desperation, Anthony.

Update: I think that whatever is causing these crashes ls linked to the grid presets. If I manually set the grids it seems OK, if I start with or change to one of the preset it immediately crashes. Stumbling around in the dark a bit though.

Affinity Designer Crash.zip

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi Ginblue,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've just been trying your files myself and cannot reproduce in 1.7.3 or 1.8.2. You've mentioned you think its related to presets, this could be why I cannot reproduce it.

Is this still an issue for you in 1.8.2? If it is, could you zip up and attach a copy of the following folder please?
%AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\

Thanks,

Hi Sean,

Its a funny thing, well not funny but a real pain. I purchased Affinity Photo recently and have the exact same issue with Isometric grids in Photo. I now think its somehow connected to grid snapping. If I unset snap to guides (though I'm  not using guides) and keep grid subdivisions down it seems to buy me some time before a crash. My computer is not the most powerful but I use Isometric grids in Inkscape without issue and even run Blender and Cinema 4D OK. I monitored CPU and memory performance and all seem reasonable low before any crash happens. Not that I'm an expert on these things but Designer does not seem to be able to capture the crashes. 

Thanks for the reply, stay well. Anthony

1.0.zip

• Staff

Thanks for that - unfortunately still not seeing from my end with your App Data and test files. Are you able to to get a screen recording that captures the steps you're taking to reproduce the crash at all please?

Thanks,

OK, tried to screen record but of course crashed PC, no video. So we had to record the screen on a phone but you'll get the gist I'm sure.

Its odd sometimes I'll just have to start drawing on the canvas and it will crash, sometimes I'll have several minutes before it goes. the actions required too crash the app do seem to vary but it will always crash! The crash is always the the whole PC not just the app.   Intel driver need updating but Lenovo don't seem in any hurry to sign the updates off, not even sure it would have any effect.

Have also included the app data from the filmed crash but don't think there is anything there.

Regards, Anthony

1.0.zip

• Staff

Thank you very much for the video - unfortunately still not getting any forms of crash from me, even using your user data and following your video step by step. Would it be possible for you to try a couple more things please?

Could you start Windows 'Event Viewer' up and go to the 'Administrative Events' section and look through the list to the time of a crash like you've shown. If you select all the entries around that time (You can use Shift+Click to select a range) and then right click and go 'Save Selected Events' ensuring you save with English Display Information - this should save a Windows event log that might be able to give us some more information. If you could attach that that would be very helpful.

The other thing to try if it is related to your graphics drivers is to go to Edit > Preferences > Performance and switch the Renderer from 'Default (Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630)' to 'WARP' and then restart the app. This will switch the application to use a software renderer. Note the performance is slower using this so it isn't a fix as such, just something that might give us a clue as to where the problem is. Once that is done try using the app as before and see if this stops the system crashes.

Thanks again,

OK, we seem to have some progress! Switched to the  WARP drivers (something that never occurred to me to try) and was able to draw numerous objects, resize and move objects, change grid settings, use snapping and draw over a relativity lengthy time period. This is something I had not been able to do up to this point. I switched back to the Intel drivers opened the same document and almost immediately had a crash when I started to draw. 

So it would seem to be a driver issue then (fingers crossed). Using WARP is not a big issue at this point and is better then struggling in Inkscape.

I've still attached the event log which should have a least two crash events in the time period covered.

I see that a new version of Designer is available this was done in version 1.8.2.620

Thanks, Anthony

Crash Events.evtx

• Staff

Glad to here that has stopped the crashing for you - it certainly does sound like its being caused by your graphics drivers! I could see the crash events in the viewer, but sadly nothing further other than it just saying its crashed. Hopefully Lenovo get those drivers updated soon!

Thanks for persevering :)