You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I apologize in advance because I cannot reproduce the bug deterministically. I only know that it happens frequently, that it usually (again, due to unknown factors) resolves itself, and that, during the most recent occurrence, it did not -- although, apparently, saving/reloading the image did reset the issue (i.e. I did not have to exit the application).

Description: while using liquid persona, I frequently enter a "mode" where, regardless of which tool (hand, zoom, push, twirl,  pinch, etc.) is active, only the hand tool is in effect at all times (unless I use modifier keys for zoom or horizontal/vertical scrolling). This happens frequently and may be caused by accidentally hitting "invalid" combinations of modifier keys (e.g. accidentally holding down the windows key , or perhaps one or more nearby keys along with the intended ctrl/shift/alt used for additional functions/movement). In those cases, only the hand tool becomes visible and regardless of changing other settings within the liquify persona parameters (radius, rate, or even ramp function, view, or mesh percentage), this last time I was unable to use any other liquify tools until I saved, closed, then re-opened the image. In other words, even selecting apply to return to the photo persona, then pressing the liquify persona button to get back into that mode did not correct the behavior. On previous occasions, I was somehow able to get out of this mode -- although the method eludes me (I generally clicked on other tool icons, then tried tools in combinations with modifier keys, and sometimes it would go back to showing the circle that indicates that one of the modifier tools is in use.

I have found nothing in the preferences (including hotkeys section) that appears to freeze all photo manipulation functionality. In addition, I have attempted to force the behavior by mashing various keys in the lower left section of the keyboard, but have yet to find the precise set circumstances that cause this behavior. I can only say that it appears to happen at least 50% of the time that I use the tool.

I will update if I find more a deterministic way of reproducing the problem.

Edited by poser1999

• 2 weeks later...

Since the "Pre-1.8 Photo Bugs" tag was added to my post, I surmise that means version 1.8 should no longer exhibit the bug. If this is correct, please read on.

I just encountered the same bug again, the version currently installed is 1.8.0.585

I'm still not sure what I did to activate the bug; but I'll try to find out under what circumstances it reverts to normal operation (if at all).

• Tried changing the mesh percentage.
  • Then dragged the image around using both the hand tool (which is what it's set to while the bug is active), as well as by holding down the space bar, then dragging.
  • Finally, I hit CTRL+SHIFT (I believe) -- possibly preceded/followed by another nearby key -- and that changed it back to normal operating mode.

15 minutes ago, poser1999 said:

Since the "Pre-1.8 Photo Bugs" tag was added to my post, I surmise that means version 1.8 should no longer exhibit the bug. If this is correct, please read on.

Your report was moved to the forum "Pre-1.8 Photo Bugs Found on Windows" because it was reported on an earlier version. That does not mean that it was fixed, though. It is merely how Serif chooses to organize the forums.

Bugs reported now are reported against 1.8. The older bug reports are in the older forum.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, walt.farrell said:

Your report was moved to the forum "Pre-1.8 Photo Bugs Found on Windows" because it was reported on an earlier version. That does not mean that it was fixed, though. It is merely how Serif chooses to organize the forums.

Bugs reported now are reported against 1.8. The older bug reports are in the older forum.

Thank you for the clarification.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hey poser1999,

I often work in the Liquify Persona and haven't come across this myself. I rarely use keyboard shortcuts and suspect this could potentially be the cause, as you surmised. I will be watching this thread to see if you come across a guaranteed recipe. If you do, I would really appreciate you letting me know. 

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment but it's always difficult to fix something when we struggle to reproduce it.