You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Smart Object" Layers and Non-destructive Warping

Very glad to see the Affinity Apps import Adobe "Smart Objects" as equivalent "Embedded Document" layers.

I have a few questions:

• In Adobe Photoshop, the primary usefulness of "Smart Object" layers is the ability to apply non-destructive distortions and transforms to the layer artwork. Do you plan for "Embedded Document" layers to share the same functional property? 
  • In Adobe Photoshop, one can right click on a layer and convert it into a "Smart Object" layer to be used in non-destructive distortions and transforms. Do you plan to add that functionality to Photo? Can one right click on a layer in Photo and convert it into an "Embedded Document / Smart Object" layer?
  • Is there a plan to allow both the Perspective and Mesh Warp tools to be applied non-destructively to "Embedded Document / Smart Object" layers? This is relevant to those of us who build mockups of packaging and 3D objects, where the need is to convincingly shape and apply logos and other artwork to boxes and bottles, and still have the ability to replace the artwork in the "Embedded Document / Smart Object" layer.  
  • Is there any chance that Affinity "Embedded Document" layers can be exported out to PSD files as "Smart Object" layers rather than flattened raster layers?

On 2/18/2020 at 1:51 PM, IPv6 said:

Perspective already has "Live Filter" counterpart.

Warp, Deform and Liquify lacks such functionality though... Would be a boomer to have, indeed

2 or 3 years we all (except @mac_heibu) waiting warp and deform for Embed Documents. Affinity Designer and Photo so unuseful in a lot of moments and Serif is so slow to implement really inportant features... I'm disappointed.

1 hour ago, digital said:

2 or 3 years we all waiting warp and deform for Embed Documents. Affinity Designer and Photo so unuseful in a lot of moments and Serif is so slow to implement really inportant features... I'm disappointed.

Poor boy …

(By the way: „We all“ isn’t correct. I am not waiting for these kind of  features …)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know that several people have already asked for non-destructive warping but please can Affinity add this feature? It's an essential function  to ensure a speedy and efficient workflow when creating design templates that can be used over and over again, especially when visualising branding on mugs, tee-shirts etc.  I want to be able to swap an image and see all the existing transformations applied to the new image, like Smart Objects in Adobe CC.

I don't need it to be compatible with Adobe's Smart Objects feature,  but it would be great to see the functionality in Affinity Photo. I consider this to be a significant issue for many professionals who would love to make the transition to Affinity Photo, but are reluctant to do so, because they have to be very aware of the time it takes to perform repetitive  tasks i.e branding templates.

Is this on the horizon for Affinity Development? 

Edited by SteveF
spelling

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.