You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APu Exclude from export?

You can use File > Edit in Designer to send your document from Publisher to the full Designer application (assuming you own it) if you need Designer's other Personas (Pixel, Export). The document will close in Publisher without saving) and reopen in Designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ok... I do own the complete range but... are all Affinity files interchangeable? If that's the case why not use just one Filetype?

(Then maybe one program with the different personas as plugins?)

Edit: And how do i save those settings?

Edit 2: How to export the complete document instead of a single page?

If you're working with pages you should be working in Publisher and exporting the complete document, including all information on each page, and shouldn't need the Export Persona.

For what you described in your first post, it sounds like you should be working in Designer, with Artboards instead of pages.

Alternatively, working in Publisher you could use File > New from the Designer Persona, and then you'll have the option to start with a document that uses artboards rather than pages. But to export slices rather than the whole document you'd still need to switch to the complete Designer app with the Export Persona.

If you're in Designer with a Page-based document you can switch between pages using the page navigator on the lower left edge of the workspace, next to the status bar. But I don't know how pages, slices, and the Export Persona interact.

59 minutes ago, Sephen said:

If that's the case why not use just one Filetype?

The file formats are identical. Having multiple filetypes let's you choose which application will open the files by default if you double-click on one of them to launch it.

1 hour ago, Sephen said:

And how do i save those settings?

Which settings?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Ok... ill try to explain. When we design product range packaging like boxes or labels we have a lot of base files made in e.g. AD (backgrounds, logos, design elements, ingredients etc.). In APu we place all of these files for each product range. Every single product (one page in a product range) is a combination of the different artboards in the AD base files. One element of these base files are embossing shapes, die cut shape and general markers for post production. We need to export these files in one PDF file as proof and for production. The customer expects a proof pdf with all of the embossing shapes, die cut shapes etc. (because, well... customer) and for production all those shapes need to be excluded. Sometimes you can exclude colours but when there are a lot of different shapes you'd rather remove them all together from the export. But in APu that's also not possible. Exporting this one page at a time in AD is a bit cumbersome.

It's funny that the one program that needs to export, doesn't have an export persona :)

Thanks. It's still not completely clear to me how you've organized your files, and probably won't be without an actual sample.

However, in Publisher, your best approach at the moment may be to use a Master Page for the proof items you'll need to exclude from the final version. 

For example, you could create a Master Page with an empty Layer layer on it. Apply that Master to each document page that will need the proof items.

Next, on each of those document pages:

1. Right-click on the "proof" Master Page layer and choose Edit Detached.

2. Place that page's proof Artboard onto the proof layer. Click Finished.

Having done that, if you export the file it will have both the proof and production data.

To export a version without the proof data, go to the Proof Master Page, and turn off the Layer's visibility. The proof data will be hidden on all the pages. Then do your production export.

-- Walt
PC: