You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

555 - XMP tag PersonInImage

Hi @MEB

Support for EXIF information is still relatively weak in Affinity applications. And even though Affinity uses ExifTool, a tool with a wealth of editing possibilities. Are you planning any more intensive use of this tool (use of EXIF), so that there is no need for third-party tools?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

20 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi UweN,
Currently we don't support any property of the IPTC Extension schema. Maybe in upcoming versions, later. I've moved this thread to the Feedback for Affinity Photo on Desktop section to be considered for a possible future inclusion.

Hi,

sorry but this is very unsatisfactory. I've expected to have the full IPTC metadata support and not to lose any kind ot metadata information existing in the source file. The People metadata information is a must have for me because it's one of the key metadata of the files/items I organize in the Daminion catalog. Yes I can define a temporary workaround using the ExifTool to add missing metadata in the exported file but losing information is a: no go.

On 2/24/2020 at 5:45 AM, MEB said:

Hi UweN,
Currently we don't support any property of the IPTC Extension schema. Maybe in upcoming versions, later.

Uggghhhh!!! No bueno!

For everyone's sake, I hope this is given greater priority than adding new "gee-whiz" features (which are of course awesome). 

I'm in the process of trying to convince a large company to move away from Adobe and over to the Affinity products for their obvious benefits and the high ROI. But one of the things we absolutely need is to NOT lose full IPTC data during our exports. Even if I'm personally convinced of my enjoyment of the Affinity products, management and other users who deal with images and other media day-to-day will view this as a non-starter as far as switching over to the Affinity suite. 😞 

I'm actually very surprised and more than a little disappointed in this. It will make my task of selling them on this transition much more difficult. It will also negatively impact my own day-to-day tasks. PLEASE ask the developers to move fixing this higher in their priority list. 

Me too--I tested XMP support and thought it all looked good.  Didn't realize that IPTC attributes would be lost (I haven't been using those).  Hope this support will be added for full compatibility with other photo editors and management apps.  

Sadly....this means I'm back to using Photoshop with my Adobe subscription until this is fixed.  I was about to start editing and organizing thousands of old family photos, a good number of those have IPTC attributes set on them.  I hate to, as I prefer Affinity UI to Photoshop.  But I cannot afford to be saving my family photos in non-standard file formats.  And the current released non-beta version of AP is a long way from providing standard metadata support.  

On 2/24/2020 at 11:45 AM, MEB said:

Currently we don't support any property of the IPTC Extension schema. Maybe in upcoming versions, later.

This is a feature that should not be missing in a professional image editing program. It is not possible that many important metadata are lost when editing with Affinity Photo. The fact that this feature is not already on the developers' to-do list, but only might be included in future ones is poor. Unfortunately another reason to stick to Adobe Photoshop for a long time to come. 

Agree with the above comments.  As I've started a big organizing project with old family photos--over 5000 of them, many of them tagged with various IPTC attributes--I will not be able to let Affinity photo touch those files.  That is so disappointing, I wanted to like and use Affinity!

So after all the testing of various apps I've done recently, I thought we'd reached a point where I could use Affinity as the photo editor piece, but now I find I still can't trust it with my old files as it may overwrite, omit, or 'lose' some of the metadata.

What I'm back to as the fallback plan:  

• I will continue my 10/month Adobe subscription with Photoshop and Lightroom.  Photoshop will not overwrite or 'lose' my metadata values on my old files.   
  • Recently purchased Daminion home server edition for cataloging and managing all my files. As was said above, Daminion seems to be fully compliant with IPTC/XMP metadata.  A similar app I tested before buying Daminion--which is also fully compliant with IPTC/XMP--is Imatch Anywhere.   But I liked Daminion slightly better.  Another nice thing I found with Daminion is that it plays very nicely with Lightroom as far as metadata tagging, both apps are standards compliant and so far that I've seen, both will recognize and respect the metadata tags set by the other.

I will still keep my copy of Affinity around and hoping it reaches a point where I can use it again.  Maybe by 2.0?   Of course then, I'd have to buy a new copy though.  Right now for me, it's gonna have to go on a back shelf.  

On 2/24/2020 at 2:45 AM, MEB said:

Hi UweN,
Currently we don't support any property of the IPTC Extension schema. Maybe in upcoming versions, later. I've moved this thread to the Feedback for Affinity Photo on Desktop section to be considered for a possible future inclusion.

In case anyone is curious about what fields are in the IPTC Core schema (which I think, IS supported by Affinity), and the Extension schema (which is not), here is the current standards doc at the IPTC site that lists and explains all the metadata fields that are in each schema:

https://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/specification/IPTC-PhotoMetadata-2019.1.html

• Staff

To the participants of this thread.

I am sorry but I gave MEB the wrong information, which was communicated back to you here, apologies

There was an internal miscommunication about the status of this issue; removing your IPTC Extension data is not by design and will be looked at directly with a view to get this fixed.

As you may appreciate this week we were in the process of a lot of release testing and this miscommunication should not have happened, but did, sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

As you may appreciate this week we were in the process of a lot of release testing and this miscommunication should not have happened, but did, sorry.

Thank you so much for the explanation, @Patrick Connor. I have complete confidence in your team there. I’m eager to see this one fixed, as it will have wide ramifications for implementation in small, medium, as well as large businesses.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Undisplayed XMP tags should be "passed through" by Affinity Photo) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.1/1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

17 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Undisplayed XMP tags should be "passed through" by Affinity Photo) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.1/1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Thanks Patrick.

Is it possible at this time to say that Affinity (version Xyz) fully supports all "IPTC core" and "IPTC extension" metadata fields (both specifications are here)?   If the team could do that, I think personally, it would put to rest this issue for me and other users who use metadata.  Obviously we'd still test, but would be helpful to know if in a current beta release and the intent of the team, all those fields are present and accounted for. 

• Staff
17 hours ago, timlt said:

Is it possible at this time to say that Affinity (version Xyz) fully supports all "IPTC Core" and "IPTC Extension" metadata fields

Reading/persisting for export, yes. As for writing/modifying, this is currently IPTC Core only, IPTC Extension pass through unaffected.
I have no more information on the timescale for any further improvements towards "full" support of reading and writing both sets.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Thanks @Patrick Connor, that actually helps.  Because if I have metadata created/tagged in other apps (for example, I use Daminion home server now for tagging, searching, etc. all my file assets including images with metadata), at least I can be sure that if I open/edit/save those images in Affinity, the metadata will be persisted not overwritten.  For me that's the main thing.  The ability to WRITE metadata to all the IPTC extension fields is a 'nice to have', for me personally, I can get by ok without that since I manage my assets in other tools outside of Affinity. 

Thanks again. 

• Staff
11 hours ago, timlt said:

at least I can be sure that if I open/edit/save those images in Affinity, the metadata will be persisted not overwritten. 

That is absolutely the purpose of the current code. PLEASE check carefully that it is working for you personally, as this is new code so has not yet seen as many "real world scenarios" as would make me reassured to say it is absolutely 100% proven and robust (our internal testing has not found any problems to suggest otherwise)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd