You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can you modify the tint of a global colour?

From what I've found you can edit the CMYK / RGB etc. values, but no tint. So if I need to globally change a colour from 95% to 85% tint I have to find every instance of that colour or  am I missing something?

I've tried so many different ways with opacity and tint, but can't figure it out.

Many thanks!

As far as I understand how it was explained to me a while back, the Tint setting is a local-to-layer-only setting and can’t be applied to a Global Colour. It’s the same for Noise and Opacity too, I think. In other words, the colour part of a Global Colour is the only thing that is actually global. So, unfortunately, if you want to change the tint of many things that use a Global Colour you will have to manually change the tint yourself in each.
If you select a Global Colour, then go to the Colours Studio, and then press the Edit Global Colour button you will see that only the colour can be changed, not the tint, noise or opacity.

Thanks Garry!

The feature request was back in 2018, so fingers crossed it'll be picked up.

I eventually found a work around of sorts... You can use the colour picker when you edit the colour to pick up a tint of that colour elsewhere on the document. Not ideal, but workable until the feature is added.

Another request would be to be able to assign another swatch to the one you're deleting!

• 4 months later...

OK. This NOT being able to apply a percentage for a tint of a particular color is crazy. It is SO basic. Why isn' this allowed? I mean, I NEED this ability in my everyday world of CMYK printing. It does me no good to tell Publisher to create cloud chord tints when I need the flexibility of determining my own. There are many times when I need 6% of a solid color or 13%. 

Does Affinity plan on changing this? Opacity is NOT the same thing as I need a solid fill for many of the things I do. Yes, I use opacity from time to time, but when I need drop shadows or inner/outer glow effects, I need that object filled with a solid color. 

I REALLY want to get away from Adobe's world of greed and drop Indesign, but I have a small list of issues that I'm jotting down that are adding up to our having to swallow the bitter pill of keeping with InDesign, I fear. I bought the Affinity Personas, but I am worried I won't be able to witch over to Affinity full time because of my list. 

If anyone hears of anything I may have missed regarding tint flexibility, please shout. Thank you

On 2/17/2020 at 2:01 PM, 3Dshark said:

Can you modify the tint of a global colour?

From what I've found you can edit the CMYK / RGB etc. values, but no tint.

14 minutes ago, Beacon Publishing said:

There are many times when I need 6% of a solid color or 13%. 

You may find Tints as slider or numerical value in the Colours Panel's burger menu.
There you also can add auto-created tint swatches.

443615394_globalcolortint1.jpg.b60bcba564893170220e67a64270ee5f.jpg

1699611971_globalcolortint2.jpg.62598ad22594cdb18baa3b5e69478f0d.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hello thomaso,

Thank you! I see that the tint slider can only be accessed after creating a global document color. All other color swatches give you the CMYK color mixer under the Colour tab, but Document colors allow the slider! I suppose this is due to the fact the other color choices are embedded defaults. 

Thanks again. I have to say, this program makes some of these much more difficult than they need to be. I don't mean anything negative by that, but the steps involved to accomplish certain goals are quite substantially increased. 

I have a growing list of issues that maybe there are solutions to where Publisher is concerned. I suppose I will find myself back here again.

Take care! 🙂

8 hours ago, Beacon Publishing said:

I see that the tint slider can only be accessed after creating a global document color.

Then you don't see the whole thing.
The tint options are available + accessible for all types of palettes and swatches.

1772607808_cmyktint.jpg.bf0c4734befb15762001aab268248c51.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 7/15/2020 at 2:05 AM, Beacon Publishing said:

I REALLY want to get away from Adobe's world of greed and drop Indesign, but I have a small list of issues that I'm jotting down that are adding up to our having to swallow the bitter pill of keeping with InDesign, I fear. I bought the Affinity Personas, but I am worried I won't be able to witch over to Affinity full time because of my list.

Hi Beacon, I've been using Designer for a few years now. It's great that Publisher has finally been released. It was a bit of a learning curve as I'd been using Adobe software for decades (since 1992). I was an early adopter of InDesign (CS1) over Quark so have been through this process already. There were a few mental leaps to me made on the Affinity way of working, but after taking the plunge on a couple of live projects it's now become as second nature as Creative Suite was. Some things are easier, some things are counter-intuative at first (personally I feel the whole colour system needs a bit of a review). It's well worth the initial pain, plus no subscription. The nice thing is that Affinity do seem to listen to their users, and the forum is friendly and supportive. Good luck with your switch over!

Hello 3Dshark,

I agree with you that the Affinity line of applications are very nice and competitive. Well, potentially so. However, the more I delve into the Publisher persona, the more roadblocks I encounter. I don't think Publisher is ready for massive, labor intensive publication production. It is definitely a nice program to use for advertising brochures or books/novels, but the multifaceted world of newspaper building just doesn't seem to have been taken into consideration. 

I have figured out the color tint process, which I do contend is not very intuitive, it can be managed and applied. Unfortunately, I have run into other issues, so far, that really are holdbacks to making a switch. Two current issues involve the asset panel. One, the assets in the panel do not display as names only, and the thumbnails either are undecipherable when viewed with "Show As List" turned off, or they are gargantuan and hog my workspace when "Show As List" is activated. I have shared this concern with their support team, and they're taking it into consideration. The other asset panel issue is even much worse and a deal breaker if there isn't a workaround. The issue involves my not being able to place assets in the panel that contain graphic or photos. These images are linked but every time I attempt to place them in the asset panel I am given a warning saying "embedded graphics cannot be placed in the asset panel." Sadly, this is a HUGE deal breaker. In newspapers, many article bylines/features use mug-bugs. Not being to have quick access to these is simply unproductive and renders sage of the application impractical.

I have relayed this issue to support too. We shall see if there is a remedy to this.

Affinity is, indeed, very open to suggestions and feedback, and, it is quite possible they will be open to remedying these problems. Unfortunately, until they do make these fixes, I am not going to be able to make the switch I need for our publications. 

I will continue to share my questions and suggestions with support. 

Thanks for the well wishes. 🙂