You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APu Resource manager, replace all AD artboards globally

When you place a AD-file with more than one Artboard you can choose which Artboard has to be placed.

And if that AD-file is used many times in your APu file, how do you update/replace that file via the Resource Manager to a different Artboard globally? 

You can replace a document via the Resource Manager but where's the option to select a Artboard?

I am a bit confused by what the OP wrote because there is no mention of APu in the post & no Resource Manager in AP.

That said, as a workaround in APu, what about putting the artboard(s) on master page(s) so that by changing an Artboard on a Master page & reapplying it to the document page(s) to make that artboard appear on each document page?

I thought using "Edit linked" on a document page or just switching among the artboards on the Master page would work but neither one does. To get it to work I had select the document pages & reapply the master to them after changing the artboard on the master page.

Edited by R C-R
clarified slightly

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am a bit confused by what the OP wrote because there is no mention of APu in the post

Perhaps look at the topic title again :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps look at the topic title again :)

I did, but it still begins with "AP Resource manager." AP usually means Affinity Photo. Affinity Photo has no Resource manager.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I did, but it still begins with "AP Resource manager." AP usually means Affinity Photo. Affinity Photo has no Resource manager.

Interesting. I see:
image.png.b600b6fe8093154fc8997687b820993b.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Just now, walt.farrell said:

Interesting. I see:

I think the OP must have edited the title because until I refreshed the page the "u" was missing.

Affinity Photo 

43 minutes ago, haakoo said:

This will work in the beta though

Good to know. I just checked & both "Edit linked" & switching among artboards placed on Master page works in the current Mac beta. 😃

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, Sephen said:

When you place a AD-file with more than one Artboard you can choose which Artboard has to be placed.

And if that AD-file is used many times in your APu file, how do you update/replace that file via the Resource Manager to a different Artboard globally? 

You can replace a document via the Resource Manager but where's the option to select a Artboard?

Try the following workflow:

1. Place the .afdesign document, and choose the artboard you want.
  2. Rather than Placing the document onto another page, select it on the first page, and Copy (Ctrl/Cmd+C, or Edit > Copy)
  3. Paste the copy on the next page(s).

That gives you one entry for the file in the Resource Manager, and you can Replace it with one action. The proper artboard will be selected automatically on each of the pages where you copied the file.

Note: There is a bug, in that the Pages panel thumbnails will not update to reflect the new Placed document content. But the content is correct on the pages themselves.

-- Walt
PC:

27 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That gives you one entry for the file in the Resource Manager, and you can Replace it with one action. The proper artboard will be selected automatically on each of the pages where you copied the file.

I guess I am missing something because while this does create one 'master' artboard entry in the Resource Manager for a placed AD multi-artboard document, I can't find any way to globally switch from one artboard in the AD file to another.

I still have to do that one at a time on each document page.

Affinity Photo 

54 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I guess I am missing something because while this does create one 'master' artboard entry in the Resource Manager for a placed AD multi-artboard document, I can't find any way to globally switch from one artboard in the AD file to another.

I still have to do that one at a time on each document page.

I did not read the OP's request as wanting to change all the Publisher pages to using different artboards (or a single different artboard). If that's what was meant, my workflow doesn't help.

-- Walt
PC:

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I did not read the OP's request as wanting to change all the Publisher pages to using different artboards (or a single different artboard). If that's what was meant, my workflow doesn't help.

I am not certain about what is wanted but from the "place a AD-file with more than one Artboard" reference I assumed it is to be able to globally replace one of those artboards with another one from the same AD file. Otherwise, the "more than one Artboard" part seems irrelevant.

Affinity Photo 

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am not certain about what is wanted but from the "place a AD-file with more than one Artboard" reference I assumed it is to be able to globally replace one of those artboards with another one from the same AD file. Otherwise, the "more than one Artboard" part seems irrelevant.

Yes that's exactly what is wanted, I've got one AD file with several Artboards and want to globally replace it with the same AD file but a different Artboard.

34 minutes ago, Sephen said:

Yes that's exactly what is wanted, I've got one AD file with several Artboards and want to globally replace it with the same AD file but a different Artboard.

Putting it on a Master Page is probably all you can do to accomplish that.

Apply that Master Page to the document pages that need to have that .afdesign file on them.

When you need to switch Artboards, just change it once on the Master.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, Sephen said:

Unfortunately there are over 50 different pages. Creating 50 master page wouldn't help either :).

Is the artboard in the same location on each page, or different locations?

Assuming different locations, I would try the following (and will, when I'm at the computer again):

1. Create a Master Page, with a Picture Frame. Place the .afdesign document in the Picture Frame, and choose the Artboard.

2. Apply that Master to any page that needs that file, without replacing any other Master Page s.

3. If the Artboard needs to be in a different location, right-click on the Master Page layer and choose Edit Detached. 

4. Move the Picture Frame as needed, and click Finished.

With luck, you will still be able to choose a different artboard in the Master Page and it will update on all the document pages you've applied that Master to.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Assuming different locations, I would try the following (and will, when I'm at the computer again):

1. Create a Master Page, with a Picture Frame. Place the .afdesign document in the Picture Frame, and choose the Artboard.

2. Apply that Master to any page that needs that file, without replacing any other Master Page s.

3. If the Artboard needs to be in a different location, right-click on the Master Page layer and choose Edit Detached. 

4. Move the Picture Frame as needed, and click Finished.

With luck, you will still be able to choose a different artboard in the Master Page and it will update on all the document pages you've applied that Master to.

That approach works in Publisher 1.8.0.556 beta, but does not work on 1.7.3. In 1.7.3 the document pages do not update, so that solution won't work until 1.8.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That approach works in Publisher 1.8.0.556 beta, but does not work on 1.7.3. In 1.7.3 the document pages do not update, so that solution won't work until 1.8.

Like @haakoo & I mentioned earlier, the big problem in 1.7.3 is "Edit linked" doesn't work. (Actually it sorta does, but the results are the same as with "Edit Detached" -- only the document page's master switches to the desired artboard, so it is useless as a global artboard switch.)

I had better luck editing the Master page itself, but as I said, in 1.7.3  I had to reapply it to all the applicable document pages -- it would not work automatically as it should.

Affinity Photo