You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I think I always placed images in Designer, they simply got embedded, I never stored the image documents separately. Now today after I trashed an already place image, Designer alarmed about missing resource. No clue why sudenly images dont get embedded anymore. And I can not find a setting about that or let alone the ressource manager to manually embed it.

I am stuck now, not able to embed... what else can I do?

Is it possible that at some point you replaced the first placed image with another one? I ask because there is a bug in the retail version (I believe fixed in the 1.8 beta) that allows you to choose to link to the replacement image instead of embedding it. 

Aside from that, if you opened the file in APu or created it there & then opened it in AD, it is possible you linked the file in APu, since it does support both linking & embedding?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There have been other Designer bugs that can result in Linked images. For example, in 1.7.3 that will happen if you use the "Print (Press-Ready)" when you create the document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

There have been other Designer bugs that can result in Linked images. For example, in 1.7.3 that will happen if you use the "Print (Press-Ready)" when you create the document.

As best as I can tell, that particular bug is not present in the Mac 1.7.3 retail version. What sometimes happens is I get the 'missing resources' notification but if just click the "no" button the image is there when the file opens ... so basically for me the bug is the resource is not missing from the file; it just says it is.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

As best as I can tell, that particular bug is not present in the Mac 1.7.3 retail version. What sometimes happens is I get the 'missing resources' notification but if just click the "no" button the image is there when the file opens ... so basically for me the bug is the resource is not missing from the file; it just says it is.

Yes, I think that's been another bug that has been mentioned before.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, I think that's been another bug that has been mentioned before.

I retested this on my Mac & even if I click the "Resource Manager" button & its window lists the image file as "missing," the file has opened behind that window & the image is there.

I gather that does not happen in the Windows version?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I gather that does not happen in the Windows version?

I've no idea; I wasn't the one who reported the problem, and I haven't tested it personally.

-- Walt
PC:

Well, I just dragged it from desktop into the Designer Layout as I always do. I close de document, trash de images and when opening, warning appears and the images are completely blurred on the page. So they really are linked. Only way around I find now is open them in afPhoto and copy paste from there.

4 minutes ago, Thomahawk said:

Well, I just dragged it from desktop into the Designer Layout as I always do. I close de document, trash de images and when opening, warning appears and the images are completely blurred on the page. So they really are linked. Only way around I find now is open them in afPhoto and copy paste from there.

Windows or Mac?

What document Preset did you use when creating the Designer document?

What kind of files are you dragging onto the Designer document?

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

Walt, all that should not matter. Thats the problem with many things in affinity, things only work if you first do A, then B then C. That is not user friendly. I am not thinking about presets. I just want things to behave the same way and then next time expect again to work the same way. 

1 hour ago, Thomahawk said:

Walt, all that should not matter. Thats the problem with many things in affinity, things only work if you first do A, then B then C. That is not user friendly. I am not thinking about presets. I just want things to behave the same way and then next time expect again to work the same way. 

It should not matter, but as mentioned earlier there are bugs.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Thomahawk said:

Thats the problem with many things in affinity, things only work if you first do A, then B then C. 

The order in which you do things matters in many apps, not just the Affinity ones.

Affinity Photo