You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placing Text on Curve?

Has this feature been implemented yet? If so, how is it done? Thanks.

2009: 27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.3 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9.5.1, 10.5 and 2015 / Pinegrow Web Designer / Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo / Acorn

Thanks MEB.

2009: 27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.3 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9.5.1, 10.5 and 2015 / Pinegrow Web Designer / Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo / Acorn

Until there is “text on a curve” you would probably have to create each letter individually, then place and rotate them to fit. Okay for one word or two but obviously not handy for a full sentence.

Max

P.S. Peter, very nice site down under by the way. Totally professional.

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

Thanks Max.

I resorted to using Illustrator for the curved text and exported it to PDF and then imported that into Affinity.

Did exactly what you suggested for a late addition of three words to the project. Not so hard.

And thank you for the compliment regarding my website.

Someone else mentioned wanting to be able to do things like perspective and distorted text. Since I have been a personal friend of Ken Stillman, the author of TypeStyler, for the past 28 years I can highly recommend that application for doing just about any type of text distortions one can imagine including text on a curve.

With that in mind I have attempted to use TypeStyler to create some special text effects. TypeStyler can turn text into outlines and export in AI format and also as a PDF. Unfortunately AD is not able to read in the AI file that TypeStyler produces but it can import the PDF version directly. Unfortunately again, AD sees all the outlined text as one big object. You can use the node tool to adjust any individual node but when selecting any part on one letter all the nodes for all the characters show up at once. It is as though they are all grouped but AD will not give you the option to ungroup them as it probably does not see them as grouped. Never the less you can import distorted text using this option currently.

I also tried to copy individual characters and paste them back in but it only copies the entire text and pastes back in a complete duplicate so right back at the starting point.

It is possible that AD will make some adjustments in the future once they get other things taken care of. I will also get with Ken of TypeStyler to see if there might be a minor tweek on that end that can be fixed if needed.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

• 3 months later...

Until Affinity Designer gets a place-type-on-curve function, there is also a great creative type-shaping app called ArtText 2, which can customize & texturize type in virtually every imaginable way, for only $20 on the Appstore. There's also an amazing free version.

• 7 months later...
  • Staff

Hi JohnBF,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This was already implemented in Affinity Designer (Layer ▹ Convert to Text Path). You can also mouse-over a path with the Artistic Text tool until the cursor changes to an A with a wave line below and start typing.

This feature is not available in Affinity Photo.

• 3 months later...

Great! How do you shift the text to the inside of the circle, or the other side of the line?

HI Konspaul,

Check out the tutorial made for text on a path https://vimeo.com/121654574

Should have all your answers.

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials