You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rounded Corners

In recent versions of Illustrator there is a little circular double dot at the corners of your polygons which allow rounding of corners.  It's an incredible feature.  By default, clicking-and-dragging one of those dots will round all corners the same.  But you can individually round a single corner by using the Direct Selection Tool (in Illustrator) to select a particular corner, and then only a single adjustment dot will appear.  You can Option-click to invert the rounding.

This would be a spectacular feature enhancement to Affinity Designer.

Thank you for bringing the Corner Tool to my attention.  No, I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it — silly me!  But now that I am using it, please educate me...

1) I can change a single corner easily, but how do I make all corners change together?

2) Everything defaults to Rounded.  What if I want to change multiple corners individually but have them all Concave.  I click the Concave button, but it won't stick.

Thanks.

Hi JDW,

with the Corner Tool selected, you can draw a marquee around all corners (nodes) you want to round. You can Shift + click to select individual corners (nodes). Now after you have transformed your corners, you can choose the corner type, and it should be sticky. Have a look at my video … should be pretty self-explaining …  :)

Cheers, Alex 

Corners.mov

I'm still playing around with the Corner Tool, and it seems you cannot use it to affect objects that are already rounded?

For example:

1. New document.

2. Sketch a circle and color it.

3. Choose the Corner Tool.

4. Select a "corner" handle on your circle and pull.  You see a red circle appear, but it has no affect on the circle.  

5. Click "Concave" and try again.  No affect.  In other words, you cannot create a "bit" in an apple if your apple starts off as a round object.  So why then does the Corner Tool pretend to affect those objects (by showing a red circle as you pull)?

Thanks.

The answer to your first question is: yes, you cannot round "corners" that are no corners (cusp nodes).

So why then does the Corner Tool pretend to affect those objects (by showing a red circle as you pull)?

That is a good question, JDW … I guess it is because we can have mixed objects with cusps (corners) and non-cusps (non-corners) … and as soon as you convert a curve node (smooth) to a cusp node (sharp), the corner tool information will be applied to it …  :unsure:

post-1198-0-71157600-1436950775_thumb.png