You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Coming from Illustrator, I am confused as to how to fine tune my gradients in Affinity Designer.  In AD, it seems like I must use the Gradient Tool to create and edit my gradients. Is it true there is no precision editor in AD?  In Illustrator, you select your gradient, then click Gradient in the toolbar at right, and you then have command of just about everything imaginable.  But in AD, I must select my gradient, then switch to the Gradient tool, and then there is a line that appears over the gradient object, which allows me to change colors, add points, move a slider, etc.  But editing on the object itself isn't always preferred.  And often when I slide that slider, it snaps to points, even though I have snap disabled, preventing me from making precision edits.  I figured out I can kill that snap by holding down the option key, but it's still not super precise to do it like that.  In Illustrator, I can type in an exact percentage figure.  No way to do that in AD from what I can see.

Or is it just me?  Am I missing something?

It would seem only logical and intuitive that if I click on a gradient and then double-click on the round color circle in the "Color" tab at right that it should open up a precision gradient editor for me.

That's one area that Designer definitely falls short: numeric entry of values. I put in a feature request for numeric entry of size and location in the context bar. It may be convienent to click and drag but there are many times it's much more precise to enter numbers.

• 7 months later...

I have a similar problem. Coming from Illustrator I am used to being able to RE-EDIT my gradient masks quite easily. Just click on the gradient, choose the gradient tool and edit the colors, opacities, etc... in the gradient panel and change the points, angle and width of the gradient directly in the workspace.

I have yet to find out how to do this in AD.... Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something obvious?

1) I create a mask layer

2) I select the mask layer

3) After selecting the gradient tool I drag an approximate gradient over my layer

4) In the context menu I select "Linear" in the dropbox and can adjust color points and opacity

5) I deselect the layer mask

Now I am UNABLE to re-select my gradient mask to readjust something. When i click on the mask layer again I can see the boundary box of the gradient and can adjust that but i cannot select the gradient itself! When I choose the gradient tool, the dropbox menu is empty again and when i click on it all my adjustments are gone and I have to redo everything. 

I really hope I am doing something wrong and there is a way to do this! Any suggestions?

Regards,

Jan

• Staff

Hi BueroBelik,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Mask layer is pixel based and as soon as you deselect it the gradient config is lost.

You didn't specify what you want to achieve, but you can use the Transparency Tool directly on an object or image to control its opacity. It lets you add additional nodes, change the type of Transparency (Linear, Radial etc) and remains editable as you want.