You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Pen Tool/Brush related freeze/ unable to click on any menus/tools.

artANIME

Hey!

I've been having this really weird issue with Designer for a while now.

I open up the program and work fine for a bit, sometimes it seems to freeze for no reason though. It usually happens when I leave the program open for a bit to take a break or watch a tutorial/ do something else on my second screen.

Computer setup is 1 monitor via hdmi and a wacom cintiq hd 13. Using Windows 10, usual programs running would be Chrome, Discord, CoreTemp, MSI Afterburner and the usual Steam/BattleNet/League launchers.

Specs: R9 3990X cpu, 32 GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 2070 Super, X470 Taichi motherboard, plenty of wattage provided by an EVGA 750W G3 psu

I will try to record a full session tomorrow, hopefully I catch it happening, as it sometimes does it, others it doesn't and it's very hard to replicate.

Sometimes I'm able to at least ctrl+s my work, or through the menus, other times I have to end task and hope the auto save worked.

The most consistent times i've seen it happen it when looking through my hard drives for reference images i've got saved. It also happens when browsing through pinterest for example, so no idea what's causing it.

I use the wacom exclusively to draw on, everything else is done on the main monitor. File browsing, web surfing etc.

Noteworthy, the bug has persisted through the recent update for Affinity Designer!

Anyone else having/had a similar experience? It's a shame cause i really like the program, it's just frustrating losing progress after hours of work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by artANIME

Yes, I also have a similar issue with Wacom Bamboo running Windows. It sometimes starts to work again but usually have to shut the programme, which it allows me to do. Very strange.I can sometimes interact with the canvas but not menus or tools. Also having crash problems when using isometric grids but that's another story.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi artANIME,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Is this still an issue for you in 1.8.2? If it is could you try disabling 'Use Windows Ink for tablet input' in Preferences > Tools and see if that improves anything.

If it does not have you had any success it getting a video capture of the issue?

Thanks

• Staff
15 hours ago, clarag said:

Hello everybody

I have the same problem with affinity designer, its freeze all tools. Im using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4 

I just bought and very disappointed. How can I sort this?

Thank you

Hi Clarag, can you please post a new issue in the Designer Bugs on Mac forum with a video demonstrating the issue, and any supporting files. Please also look at these guidelines when reporting issues:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/72-report-a-bug-in-affinity-designer/