You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Offset Path + Shape Builder Tool

5 minutes ago, twopointoh said:

Just tried the offset tool. EXCELLENT!!! THANK YOU!!! - After experimenting and getting great results I hope I can request a feature of this tool. Can you add an option like a check box to keep the original contour when you apply the offset. (this may already be there, I just couldn't find it). My workflow in testing was to type some text, convert it to curves, duplicate it and apply the offset to the duplicate in order to keep the original. Maybe an option to do this... But anyway, a big thanks for this. I can start to see Adobe in my rearview....

I'v downloaded BETA but couldn't find where the offset tool is. Could you point me there please?  :))

9 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi hohenheim,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
By default it's located below the Node Tool. See screenshot below for reference.

contour_tool.png

Ah I see, yea I tried that one but it's not an offset tool I'm looking for.

Basically, I want to be able to something like attached:
The thick line is the original border to my shape.
Thin lines are offset ones I've created one after another. So create a first offset from original border with different thickness, and then, using that just created offset to create a new one and so on.

Basically, I'd love to have whatever Illustrator gives us ,that's it:)

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 11.17.57.png

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, tersmuse said:

Am I blind, I can't find the offset tool? The help page: Tool shortcut key: O. Nothing happens when I select the O. There is no "offset tool" entry in the menu, not in the windows. Am I blind, where is the tool?

Are you sure you are using 1.9? 🙂

There is no shortcut for it - it looks like this on the toolbar (called tools):

image.png.02dd302b36f58cbe2b7b65949153da08.png

If yes and "I can't see it" try adding it yourself:

• View -> Customize tools
  • Find it, drag it to tools
  • "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 minute ago, Jowday said:

Are you sure you are using 1.9? 🙂

There is no shortcut for it - it looks like this on the toolbar:

image.png.02dd302b36f58cbe2b7b65949153da08.png

Sorry, I just edit my post. There is nothing below the Node Tool, next is the the round corner tool. Is missing, exists only in the help

Just now, tersmuse said:

Sorry, I just edit my post. There is nothing below the Node Tool, next is the the round corner tool. Is missing, exists only in the help

Also missing from view -> Customize tools?

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Just now, tersmuse said:

Great, thank you! So I have to add it manually. If you know, it works.

You shouldn't have to. Can you see it here when selecting View -> Customize tools?

image.png.069513e0e5ac4afe16f58def16ee92c2.png

• 3 weeks later...

The help bar at the bottom of the window indicates (Mac version) that holding down option while dragging will clone the object while applying contour, but that doesn't actually seem to work.  I suspect it was intended to but there is a bug.

EDIT: I thought I remembered something about this from before, and yes, this was previously reported during the beta and confirmed as a known issue: