You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Offset Path + Shape Builder Tool

Hello.

I know these two functions have been asked before and some people question them ( specially the Shape Builder Tool) but I found a quick video that shows them working together.

I think these are the only two things I'm missing from Illustrator . These two tools are  pretty much essential for Logo and Brand Designers (which I'm sure are a big market )

Hope they are added to the road map soon , now that you are working on the improved convert to path function.

Thanks

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I understand that there is a certain amount of features  we will get from the Affinity 1 versions. 

But add these two functions to version 2 of Designer and it would be an instant buy for me.  

In my opinion Affinity is a great tool for Illustrators, but I think it's time to focus more on "Designers" tools: Logo, Branding, Icon creation. BIG Market there.

The improved "convert to paths" tool is a step in the right direction.

thanks

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

• 4 weeks later...
first, i like to take this time to say thanks for keeping the creative community empowered with a great application! so far, i am very impressed with the software!

i'm sure you folks have your list of things you are working on. however, as someone switching from the more recognized gorilla vector app, i have a few tools that i sorely miss & could really use soonest (like today):

a. OFFSET TOOL (all the work-arounds i've seen so far are infuriating)!
b. a pattern library, and
c. AUTO-TRACE!!

would be NICE:
i realize that i can be making my own patterns, and probably will eventually create some as time allows. however, until you offer some affinity/serif-produced patterns, could this be a community/open-sourced effort? heck, i believe i'd be willing to contribute one or two to share with the community.

NEEDED:
regarding the offset & auto-trace features, that's just stuff that i, frankly, expected to see in the software. not having them is a major drag on my workflow & efficiency. i'm sure you've had other requests for other vector app migrators like myself, but including these functions would really make the app world class.

thanks again!

• 1 month later...

I'm doing a lot of isometric drawings for a recent project. As a result I came across Affinity Designer and I've found it far superior to Illustrator CS6 (Never moved to CC).

Unfortunately, I needed the offset tool feature for a diagram. After checking out Help, Youtube, and Affinity Forum I've discovered it's not available.

The stroke method produces some odd results and is too time consuming.

So here's my workaround.

Drop my shape into Illustrator, add the offset, copy and paste back into AfD and Fit to plane.
Then I can copy and paste, or transform the shape as much as I want.

Not ideal, but until AfD gets an offset tool it's faster than anything I've seen on YT!!

3 hours ago, ChrisNZAK said:

I'm doing a lot of isometric drawings for a recent project. As a result I came across Affinity Designer and I've found it far superior to Illustrator CS6 (Never moved to CC).

Unfortunately, I needed the offset tool feature for a diagram. After checking out Help, Youtube, and Affinity Forum I've discovered it's not available.

The stroke method produces some odd results and is too time consuming.

So here's my workaround.

Drop my shape into Illustrator, add the offset, copy and paste back into AfD and Fit to plane.
Then I can copy and paste, or transform the shape as much as I want.

Not ideal, but until AfD gets an offset tool it's faster than anything I've seen on YT!!

You can do this if you have Illustrator though :D I want to replace Photoshop and Illustrator with Affinity products, to not to keep paying a fortune to Illustrator.
I'm still paying for Illustrator to use offset; not to copy it to Affinity. 

But I got your point, sounds useful if you want to use Affinity along with Illustrator.

Edited by hohenheim

Hey everyone,

I have recently jumped ship from the Adobe suite to Affinity, and I have been loving it.
A big thumbs up to the team at Serif for providing such a powerful product.

The only 2 features that I have actually missed from Adobe illustrator are the offset path and shape builder tools.
That's why I'd like to join in with the request to add these into Designer in the future. 😃

Keep up the great work 💪

8 hours ago, Rob Claes said:

That's why I'd like to join in with the request to add these into Designer in the future. 😃

It would have been great if they were added in the past.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Now that Adobe is set to release Illustrator for iPad this year, Affinity won’t be able to rest on the laurels it won last year for best iPad apps. Direct competition will hopefully push them to develop some of these pro tools that users have been requesting for years.

What can I say? I’m an optimist.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

5 hours ago, Cealcrest said:

Now that Adobe is set to release Illustrator for iPad this year

I hope it won't be a stripped down version as Photoshop was when it was released on iPad.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 5 months later...

Adding my desire for an offset path tool. It is a powerful design tool, especially for designs when close enough isn't good enough. Adding to clarify: Although there are workarounds for offsetting the path of a shape, there is no good method for doing this with an open path.

I recommend Photo with no hesitation to photographers, this tool is one of a few missing ones that make me a little more cautious about recommending Designer to designers. And one of the reasons I still use Illustrator alongside Designer.

• 2 weeks later...

To be clear: the contour tool in 1.9 beta is NO solution for offset path (can't adjust the mitre, for example). I get even better and more flexible results by using mulitple strokes and using "Expand stroke". Interestingly, this method gives very similar results concerning the resulting vector points. So the algorithm behind it seems to be the same.

The great advantage of offset path in Illustrator is, that it's a kind of effect that can be assigned to one specific stroke of a shape. So you can keep the original shape plus one or more offset paths. Changing the shape changes all offset paths instantly. As far as I can see, with the new contour tool you can just shift the contour of a shape. No multiple contours, no keeping of the original shape.

I use illustrator to create tool paths for several different type of CNC machines including cnc plasma, cnc laser and cnc routers. Been doing this for quite a while and am over the Adobe subscription model. I was thrilled to stumble upon AD and immediately purchased it. Oh man, this is wonderful!!! The only thing I miss, and therefore can not totally eliminate Adobe from my world is the offset path function. I see that this has been discussed to death, but I still want to throw my hat in for wanting this feature. I am so hoping this will happen someday as this a a must in my field for machining parts and inlays. Pretty Please!!!!!

11 hours ago, twopointoh said:

I use illustrator to create tool paths for several different type of CNC machines including cnc plasma, cnc laser and cnc routers. Been doing this for quite a while and am over the Adobe subscription model. I was thrilled to stumble upon AD and immediately purchased it. Oh man, this is wonderful!!! The only thing I miss, and therefore can not totally eliminate Adobe from my world is the offset path function. I see that this has been discussed to death, but I still want to throw my hat in for wanting this feature. I am so hoping this will happen someday as this a a must in my field for machining parts and inlays. Pretty Please!!!!!

twopointoh,

The development of Affinity applications is being openly shared with the user community in the Beta section of this forum. If you download the current beta, you will find that an offset offset path function is among the things under current development.

JET

3 minutes ago, JET_Affinity said:

twopointoh,

The development of Affinity applications is being openly shared with the user community in the Beta section of this forum. If you download the current beta, you will find that an offset offset path function is among the things under current development.

JET

Hello,
Is there a link for that release which includes offset tool?
This is the first time I've heard that AD has decided to implement it, happy days!

Just tried the offset tool. EXCELLENT!!! THANK YOU!!! - After experimenting and getting great results I hope I can request a feature of this tool. Can you add an option like a check box to keep the original contour when you apply the offset. (this may already be there, I just couldn't find it). My workflow in testing was to type some text, convert it to curves, duplicate it and apply the offset to the duplicate in order to keep the original. Maybe an option to do this... But anyway, a big thanks for this. I can start to see Adobe in my rearview....