You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Turn lines into Guides

I don't know the answer to your question.

But I'm curious what's wrong with the current 2:1 isometric grid support in Designer, since you want a "proper" one. Thanks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

When you need a 2:1 isometric grid you need it for a reason and that's usually because you need a two to one ratio like e.g. 2x1cm/mm or 200x100px.
And with the 2:1 grid provided this is not possible. (Isometric != 2:1 isometric)

In isometric the offset is a result of the angle in 2:1 isometric the angle is a result of the offset.

17 minutes ago, Sephen said:

When you need a 2:1 isometric grid you need it for a reason and that's usually because you need a two to one ratio like e.g. 2x1cm/mm or 200x100px.
And with the 2:1 grid provided this is not possible. (Isometric != 2:1 isometric)

In isometric the offset is a result of the angle in 2:1 isometric the angle is a result of the offset.

Still confused; sorry.

Designer supports 2:1 Isometric grids:

image.png.5a1be79a667a6cfec180f37ab5934990.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks for the clarification.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

I would also love this to be a feature in Designer. All Affinity apps, really. In Illustrator, I'll take shapes / lines and convert to guides as a means of indicating where objects are that will be obstructing spaces in the design, as well as the "safe" areas for content to show up, both for myself and for my team to have consistency. Whereas standard guides can be utilized for similar purposes, it's less refined and pretty, plus when guides cross it can be confusing to newer staff members who aren't familiar with the process. Attached is a screen capture of a template file that has multiple artboards, different sizes, with the guides showing, text (not part of the template doc, just for reference) to indicate what spaces are for what. Currently the only way I can think to achieve this in Designer is to have all these items as actual shapes in a document, but then the designer is expected to delete / hide that layer prior to output, which just adds an additional step and potential error point.

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 1.14.01 PM.png

19 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

I agree this would be handy. I've seen it mentioned before and gave my 2 cents as well. It would be way better if guides acted like objects. The main one for me is clicking on a guide and being able to type in the exact position it needs to be in the control panel like in Illustrator/InDesign.

Being able to interact with the guide directly to specify the position would be very handy. The functionality is there currently, just not via interacting with the guide itself. Are you aware of View –> Guides Manager? That brings up a window that shows all current guides in the document, double-click the value to edit the location numerically, or based on percentage. Plus, the Guides Manager window can remain open while you work on the document, if you so choose, though it's a large window that cannot be docked with other panels—perhaps another possible feature request? But I agree that a double-click or secondary click of a guide to bring up the Guides Manager or manipulating the guides in the Transform panel could be a boon. Can also consider adding a custom keyboard shortcut for bringing up the Guides Manager.

21 hours ago, allaboutdolph said:

I'll take shapes / lines and convert to guides

I support this idea and, yes, it is not possible at the moment to turn vector objects into guides.

But it is possible to create a 'fake' guides layer with any kind of object in it and use these as visual and snapping guides. See screenshot and the attached AD file:

custom-guides.thumb.png.c99490910da4955b9192ea948145288b.png

You can style them
You can position them
Make sure to lock the guides layer
Make shure to select 'Snapping Candidates > All Layers'

I guess to set up an elaborate guides layer with objects turned into guides won't be much more effort ... but perhaps cleaner 😉

d.

===

custom-guides.afdesign

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil