You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD How do i link a file instead of embedding it

That is not a feature that Designer supports. It is only intended as a Publisher feature.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, Sephen said:

It's strange because you do get a notification when designer detects a changed embedded file.

That's a bug, which I think was fixed in the 1.8 beta.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 hours ago, Sephen said:

Ok, Then I hope i still get a notification because that is really helpful.

You only get a notification because there is a bug in the retail version of AD that permits linking files in the first place, which AD does not support. There is nothing helpful about permitting something that the code does not support & thus could cause unforeseen problems with your files.

EDIT: I should clarify that I meant that the bug is that AD is not supposed to support creating linked files.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, Sephen said:

Ok, Then I hope i still get a notification because that is really helpful.

One of the bugs is that users are getting that message for files that are Embedded, not Linked. That notification is being removed in 1.8, as it is meaningless.

Another bug is that in some circumstances Designer is Linking images rather than Embedding them. That is also being fixed in 1.8.

Once those are fixed, if you have a document with Linked images it must have happened using Publisher at some point in the workflow. If you open such a document, with Linked images in Designer, and they have changed, you will still get the notification (and can use the Resource Manager at that time) to update them.

-- Walt
PC:

Is this removed or being removed? Because in my 1.8 beta you can still have linked files?
What is the reason for not having a Resource manager? 

If the reason for not having resource management is the probability of missing links...
You can not blame an application for missing links, it's the result of poor file management (by a user)...

24 minutes ago, Sephen said:

Is this removed or being removed? Because in my 1.8 beta you can still have linked files?
What is the reason for not having a Resource manager? 

If the reason for not having resource management is the probability of missing links...
You can not blame an application for missing links, it's the result of poor file management (by a user)...

I thought it had been removed already. But that may only be in Windows or Mac, as their betas are not synchronized.

There is no Resource Manager available in Designer (except via the popup when opening a file with missing/modified images) because Designer does not, in general, support Linked files. And there's no reason for the user to be able to open the Resource Manager on demand without that support for Linked files. It's only really needed in Publisher.

-- Walt
PC: