You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Global Gradient with Global Colours - Designer

I don't know if this is operator error, a bug or never coded, but for my workflow, I'd like to be able to have a saved Global gradient linked to Global colours in Affinity Designer 1.7.3 (and Photo and Publisher).

I can create a gradient using Global colours and thereafter update the global colours and observe the gradient colours change too,  however, if I save the gradient and apply to another object, the link to the global colours appears to be broken (I note there is no Save as Global option for Gradients)

The only way I can create a document with multiple objects sharing the same gradient colours is to make each gradient individually and link the stops to my chosen global colours (and not SAVE as a gradient for application on another object). This works but it is a tedious process.

• Staff

Hi KBD,

I think this may work for you, once you've created the gradient with spot colours, right click on the shape you've applied them to and select Create Style.  That should then add the Global Gradient to the Style Panel, which you can then apply to other items and when you edit the Global Colours, all the objects with that style should update :)

If i've misunderstood the issue at hand, please let me know and if you can give me an sample files that would be a help as well :) 

Hi Stokerg,

That's a perfect solution - I've tested this on multiple objects and all gradients update if I edit the global colours. You can take the next two days off!

Permission to gush" Having spent twenty plus years using Adobe products - ending on CS6 - I congratulate you and the Affinity crew for creating such fantastic products. The apps are great, the books are great - even the T-shirt is quality! Please go and make more things for me to buy.

Thanks,

KBD

• 2 years later...

Hi Stokerg, that is a great hint. But I have a further question regarding gradient styles: When I create a gradient with global colour fills and add it to the style panel, all further chnages within my gradient will not apply to the style. For example, if I use the same gradient like ten times in my document and like to change the gradient, the chanegs made will not apply to all instances of the gradient. I have to create a new style and use select same. In Adobe I had the gradient in my colour pallet and could make global changes to my gradient. Is there an elegant way to solve this, without the workaround?

Thanks a lot, Nadine