You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher PDF import: Instead of PNG, TIFF are mapped...

Hello,

Affinity Publisher imports PDF well, but many images are mapped as TIF. Serif PagePlus X9 does this much better by mapping images as PNG.

The TIF images make the file more than 4x larger than PagePlus X9, which is bad:

Resource consumption in Affinity Publisher...

Resource consumption in PagePlus X9...

Where can I set that Affinity Publisher map images as PNG instead as TIF ?

Best regards,
André

Alibre-Design-Buch_P165-168.pdf

• Staff

Hi Alibre Design/André :)

Thanks for your file - I can see that there's a difference between PPX9 & Affinity Publisher here, so I'll log this file with our developers as I'm unsure which app is doing the 'correct' thing.

I'll also log a related improvement for an option to be added to choose the image format, if this is possible then our developers will certainly consider this.

Many thanks for your report!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your patience, the below is a response from our developers - 

"The difference actually comes down to the fact that Affinity doesn't internally support palettized images. In the PagePlus screenshot, you'll note that images are reported as being 8-bit RGB, which is a format where 256 colours are used from a palette.
Because PP supported these throughout its rendering pipeline, we retained the underlying data on import. Affinity, by contrast, doesn't support palettes throughout its pipeline and so, for performance reasons, all such images are upconverted to 32-bit on load. The backing data is discarded and the size reported in resource manager is an "estimate" of how big the file would be if you saved it out. Since we can't tell how effective compression will be without actually compressing the data, this estimate is somewhat pessimistic (in practice it's actually the uncompressed size of the image data) and the real figure may be somewhat lower - although it still won't be as low as the original palettized data.

The reason the files are reported as TIFF is that, for simplicity, we treat all images without backing data as TIFFs because it is the only format which supports RGB, CMYK and mono images and handles transparency. We could report RGB images as PNG, but the estimated figures would still be as pessimistic."

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Use File > Open to open your PDF, then Document > Resource Manager.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1