You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

100% black needed by printer

Hi

The printing company that we use for our magazine is complaining that the pdf I send him using Publisher doesn't have 100% black in it.  So I have been through and changed all the adverts I've made up in Designer to 100% black but if I get an advert sent in as a jpg and the black on the advert isn't 100% how can I sort that out?   Last month he wanted me to export the file as pdf/x-4 and that was supposed to make everything right for him but it didn't work as he was complaining again about the black.

Also I get some word documents that I import in that aren't 100% black but because some of the wording is in different colours I can't just make a text style up to get the 100% black otherwise I lose all the other colours in the text boxes and have to go back through and change all the colours manually.  Is there an easy way to change the black text to 100% black?

Thanks Jo

• Staff

Hi JoBrown,

With JPGs, if you place them on the page in Publisher, along the top toolbar you should have a 'K Only' button which will convert the image.

3 hours ago, JoBrown said:

Also I get some word documents that I import in that aren't 100% black but because some of the wording is in different colours I can't just make a text style up to get the 100% black otherwise I lose all the other colours in the text boxes and have to go back through and change all the colours manually.  Is there an easy way to change the black text to 100% black?

You should be able to use Find and Replace for this.  On the Text menu click on Find, where you have the Cog icon next Find, click this and select Format.  You can set this to find only the black text on the Colour and Decorations section, just change the Text Fill to the black you have on the page (you can use the colour picker to sample the black in that text).  Then in the Replace box, click the Cog icon again and set the Colour and Decorations Text Fill to CMYK and set the K slider to black.  You can then click okay, click on Find and it should then list all of the text and if you click on Replace all, this should only change the black text and not the coloured text :) 

I'd suggest testing that on a sample file, but in my tests the above process worked  :)

On 2/14/2020 at 7:32 PM, stokerg said:

Hi JoBrown,

With JPGs, if you place them on the page in Publisher, along the top toolbar you should have a 'K Only' button which will convert the image.

This changes the whole image to greyscale but I only want to change the black text on the image to 100% black.  

I'll try the Find and replace for the text.  I didn't know you could do that.  Thanks.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:32 AM, stokerg said:

You should be able to use Find and Replace for this.  On the Text menu click on Find, where you have the Cog icon next Find, click this and select Format.  You can set this to find only the black text on the Colour and Decorations section, just change the Text Fill to the black you have on the page (you can use the colour picker to sample the black in that text).  Then in the Replace box, click the Cog icon again and set the Colour and Decorations Text Fill to CMYK and set the K slider to black.  You can then click okay, click on Find and it should then list all of the text and if you click on Replace all, this should only change the black text and not the coloured text :) 

I'd suggest testing that on a sample file, but in my tests the above process worked  :)

I will follow this thread because when I get to the last step, Find, I get "no results".

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

but if I get an advert sent in as a jpg and the black on the advert isn't 100% how can I sort that out?

@TomM1 Logically, if the image is a JPG there is no text, just pixels, the Find option is for Text, you cannot apply it to an image and that's why you get "no results."  So @stokerg solution will not work.

@JoBrown The only solution is that the client needs to send the advert as a PDF, Docx or some other text editable document, maybe the app format they created the ad in? Ask them what they created the advert in, hopefully you will have the same app or can download it and it's open source.

It's actually a bit dumb that the client is complaining about his own work as if it's your fault 🤔 it's the clients fault for not formatting the advert correctly in the first place and then sending it as an non-editable JPG to boot.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 2/14/2020 at 9:07 AM, JoBrown said:

I get an advert sent in as a jpg and the black on the advert isn't 100% how can I sort that out?

If the ad is a CMYK JPG, you can use a level adjustement layer to add a little bit of black on the black channel (if most of the black is used for text, it's not a problem), or play with the selective colours adjustement.

It's not a problem if you've got text area you can easily select in an image to apply an adjustement, but if text and image are mixed (image as background for example, containing black too), it'll be more difficult or impossible. Same problem with RVB images you need to convert to CMYK.

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

@TomM1 Logically, if the image is a JPG there is no text, just pixels, the Find option is for Text, you cannot apply it to an image and that's why you get "no results."  So @stokerg solution will not work.

I am using text.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

2 hours ago, TomM1 said:

I am using text.

Hi @TomM1 Just been playing with the Find feature. Instead of looking for a colour format look for a style so maybe in your case "No Style" then it will obviously find any character and or paragraph that has a No Style applied, then in the replace section you Can choose a format colour, for my testing purposes I used a mid blue just to see if it actually changed and it did.

Screen-Shot-2020-02-16-at-18-00-33.png

Screen-Shot-2020-02-16-at-18-00-49.png

Trying to find text with a colour format just isn't working so you have to go with the style option, have a play around and test with different styles. Good luck

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions