You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch Processing To Get 300+ Images Out of Affinity Photo QUICKLY

Batch Converting Images from RAW to JPG 

- I know you guys are looking into Batch Processing/RAW conversion issues which can result in very dark images coming out of the process.

- This is meant as a discussion. I appreciate that you folks are all working hard. I just want to see if you can assist various Photographers in the field who have to process images quickly and then get them uploaded to a cloud and forwarded to various clients quickly.

Issue

- I need to get 300+ RAW images converted (very quickly) from RAW format to JPG.

- The Batch Conversion Facility within AF Desktop IS extremely useful, however, this process provides users with extremely dark JPG images, that are basically unusable.

- There is an alternative RAW conversion process, but this is manual, is very long-winded, needs to be followed carefully, and then has to be repeated some 300times. This can take several hours as opposed to minutes.

- By way of comparison, the same conversion process works fine with Adobe Products, ensuring RAW images can quickly be converted over to JPG from a variety of different Camera Devices.

- Furthermore, the results of these conversions (at least with Canon 7D/6D/Nikon D750/D810 RAW images and other support Camera Devices) are

a) useable and

b) do not need further modifications in order to be able to use the results.

SO

1. Is there a way to speed-up the process of manually converting 300+ RAW images to JPG using Affinity Photo ?

2. And then can this process give users, reasonable images that can be used without further modification (as per other products.)

3. I have documented the Manual Procedure (for converting 500+ images manually from RAW to JPG.)

4. The results from carrying-out a manual image conversion (from RAW to JPG) using the manual procedure within Affinity Photo appear to be perfectly reasonable - ie. totally fit for use.

THEREFORE 

WHY does Affinity Photo Batch Conversion Process NOT use the same routines/processes that the "manual conversion process" uses in Affinity Photo ?

CAN the Batch Conversion Process be re-written to ensure that this is a much smoother and more reliable operation for those folks that need results to come out of Affinity Photo quickly ? Whilst still allowing other folks to manually edit as many images as they like, individually, as required.

Kind  Regards

The latest version (this week) of the MAC photo beta includes an update listed as...

" - Improved handling of RAW files when using batch processing."

But I have no idea what that means, also I don't use a MAC so I can't test it and I don't work with RAW files

Someone else may be able to advise what these "improvements" are or if you are using a MAC you may want to test your RAW files in the new MAC beta

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
3 hours ago, Hazard said:

WHY does Affinity Photo Batch Conversion Process NOT use the same routines/processes that the "manual conversion process" uses in Affinity Photo ?

As @carl123 has pointed out, the latest Mac beta has improvements to this areas.  The batch process will now run the images through the same pipeline that the Develop Persona uses.  So the outputted files will give much better results.  But as Affinity is having to do more work, it may take a little longer to process all of the images but the results will be much better :) 

• Staff
3 hours ago, Hazard said:

As @carl123 has pointed out, the latest Mac beta has improvements to this areas.  The batch process will now run the images through the same pipeline that the Develop Persona uses.  So the outputted files will give much better results.  But as Affinity is having to do more work, it may take a little longer to process all of the images but the results will be much better :)