You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

556 TOC still not working with styles

Hi, 

Sorry but this is not working as it used to in the release version. I am still getting duplicated numbers in the TOC when the TOC style is based on a numbered format used in the main document.

Any changes to the numbered styles in the original document e.g. coloured numbers do pull through but there are secondary numbers in the TOC that are unwanted. 

In 1.7.3 the TOC retained the formatting from the original document paragraph styles if you based TOC 1:Numbered 1 on Paragraph Style Numbered 1 any formatting changes in the main document were also updated in the TOC

I have added a couple of screen shots showing the differences between the 2 versions. 

Can you please let me know how I can retain original formatting for numbered paragraphs from the main document...If there is still a way I can't find it 😕

3 hours ago, AdamW said:

TOC
Fix for the list number part of TOC entries that have numbered headings

TOC Troubles.png

• Staff

You no longer need to base the ToC number style on the numbered style, and use the new numbered character styles that are now generated when you refresh the ToC.

Basically it was a bit of a "hack" what was being done before and we've now added a numbered character style to appear when the ToC is generated.

If you keep an eye on the text styles tab when you refresh your ToC you should see what's changed - hopefully that clears it up a bit!

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

7 minutes ago, Jon P said:

You no longer need to base the ToC number style on the numbered style, and use the new numbered character styles that are now generated when you refresh the ToC.

Basically it was a bit of a "hack" what was being done before and we've now added a numbered character style to appear when the ToC is generated.

If you keep an eye on the text styles tab when you refresh your ToC you should see what's changed - hopefully that clears it up a bit!

Hi Jon, I can see the new styles. The problem is the numbers can not be formatted to match the document. I have tried everything that I can think of to make them coloured, I agree they keep the numbering convention...they are just plain black! Everything that I have tried regarding coloured numbers results in duplicated numbers, one is coloured but the duplicate is black How can I change their colour and only have single numbers? The “hack” was ideal for my use 😀

I create interactive PDFs for a friend’s young son that has brain damage. He has no interest in plain black text. I really need the numbers in the TOC to match exactly the big colourful numbers in the main document. He reacts positively to bright colours, this helps his recognition. He sees the number in the TOC with simple single word text, he then follows the dotted line and presses the page number. It’s all very simple stuff but very important. 

27 minutes ago, Murfee said:

I really need the numbers in the TOC to match exactly the big colourful numbers in the main document.

Can you not create Global Swatches and use them to colour the Text and then use those Global Swatches to override the colour of the numbers?

Real bad example here.

Untitled.afpub

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Can you not create Global Swatches and use them to colour the Text and then use those Global Swatches to override the colour of the numbers?

Real bad example here.

Untitled.afpub

Thanks Bruce but this will not quite work ... I need to be able to update the TOC regularly and keep the formatting. It is the numbers at the beginning of the line that need to match the numbered paragraph colours in the main document. I need to produce these PDFs with consistency gradually adding complexity (I also don't have a lot of time to do them)...the good news is they are working and helping a lot with his rehabilitation.

The new TOC numbered formats are pulling the numbers from somewhere...I just need to be able to get at the somewhere so that I can change the colours...I will then use a global colour so that when I need to change them it should work as expected, unless I can base them on the character style that I am using for the numbering in the main doc, I will also need to be able to alter whether they are bold or italicised at times

It is so easy to do this in 1.7.3, If they can't get this working in 1.8 then I will not be able to update...just for this one use case 😕

• Staff

The new TOC numbered formats are pulling the numbers from somewhere...I just need to be able to get at the somewhere so that I can change the colours

The somewhere should just be the new list number character styles, I've PM'd you the document you uploaded and have changed the colours on that style to demonstrate

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

12 minutes ago, Jon P said:

The somewhere should just be the new list number character styles, I've PM'd you the document you uploaded and have changed the colours on that style to demonstrate

Thank you so much for this. I am now a very happy Publisher Beta Tester 😺

Have a great weekend

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.