You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher tables are a disaster

Hi all,

Today I created a table with 9 columns and 12 rows. Changing column widths of individual colums is very cumbersome and  difficult. Change the width of one column and those on the right are also changed. Change the width of the table (by the inner or outer handles) change all the column widths again. Finally, I lost 3 columns without deleting them.

Designer and Photo are very good applications, however, Affinity Publisher is a mess. Also the implementation how we have to work is very far fetched in my opinion. Things should be  easier.

Anybody else experience this problem?

Have a nice day.

Chris

Just tried this, I made a table of 9 columns and 12 rows, not that intuitive initially but once I worked out how to get the extra columns and reduce the rows it becomes very simple.

Next I changed the width of a column, straight-forward enough, although there is a sweet spot you need to hit to get the resize icon on the column/row header the latter being easier than the former but it's similar to the likes of Excel and most other table aware software. The column directly connected to the right shrunk to accommodate the widening of the column I was resizing but the other columns to the right stayed where they were, no resizing.

Using the boundary handles does scale the table and the columns contained within so if you had set a column to be 20mm it would no longer be 20mm. I think there are a few assumptions here, one is that by using the boundary handles you are scaling up or down the table, not adding columns or rows. If you wanted more rows you would simply add more with the add rows and add column icons that sit to the bottom left and top right of the table, this maintains any prior settings of columns and or rows. I'm making the assumption what you were expecting to happen is, if you made the table wider columns would be added and visa versa for rows.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions